Araldite and a 506

The ABU Reels forum.
Willsmodger
Rudd

Araldite and a 506

Post by Willsmodger »

My lovely little ABU 506 started misbehaving.
The pick up pin would not fully retract into the hole.
Time for a ham fisted attempt at a fix.
After removing the diamond shaped pressure plate and the pick up pin itself (it strikes me as being well named, as I had to pick up the spring approximately 250,000 times) I checked out that nothing was broken, reassembled it and all was fine. For a bit.
Next time out of the bag, same thing.
It seemed to me that the pressure plate was not being held in place properly by the clips, so once I had the pick up pin working properly I used two blobs of Araldite where the plate clips in. Problem solved.
Was there an easier fix? I'm sure I've seen a similar fix on one I owned back in the Victorian era, which is probably where I got the idea from.

All the best.
Will.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Re: Araldite and a 506

Post by Match Aerial »

Only problem I have had after years if use is the plastic sledge becomes worn were it hits the brass lugs on the main body.
Spare parts are available .

Willsmodger
Rudd

Re: Araldite and a 506

Post by Willsmodger »

Thanks. Mine seems almost as new, so a while to go yet.
The reel now has that crisp ping when the line release button is pressed.
I can't complain too much, it cost me just over a tenner from a high street second hand dealer.
It's a puzzle, because it seems to have had very little use, almost mint condition.
Perhaps it had been well looked after.
Anyway, to nick a quote from Bob Roberts, it will soon be encrusted with hemp groundbait and contains a caster which has somehow found its way into the bell housing.
All the best.
Will.

Return to “ABU Reels”