Ambassadeur 8500

The ABU Reels forum.
Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Ambassadeur 8500

Post by Pallenpool »

Old Man River wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:01 am
Hi Banksy. your post made me smile.. back in the early 80's I bought an Abu 6500,As I remember it was about £70.00 -

David are you absolutely sure you spent £70 on a reel?
:laugh1:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Pallenpool wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:45 pm [quote="Old Man River" post_id=394336 time=<a href="tel:1555063311">1555063311</a> user_id=3724]

Hi Banksy. your post made me smile.. back in the early 80's I bought an Abu 6500,As I remember it was about £70.00 -

David are you absolutely sure you spent £70 on a reel?
:laugh1:

I must have been having an "off day Peter , and , I have not recovered yet......:Chuckle:

I do actually have some , nay quite a few rods that would put the most expensive Avon to shame in the value stakes, but they are made from high end "C" word materials, bought new , for beach work....

Sometimes I do wonder why though.....

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Wagtail wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:47 pm I've just bought an Ambassadeur 8500 and was wondering what type of fishing it is designed for. I guess light sea boat work? There is a code on the reel foot 730100... does this allow the reel to be dated? Any information gratefully received :Hat:
The serial number dates your reel like so, 73 = 1973 01 = January and 00 = no revisions, means the reel is a first version
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Old Man River wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:20 pm Thats a nice combo Reedling, although I would find the 7000 be just a bit big for the standard Flick Tip, unless of course its the 'Super Flick Tip ", a friend of mine used the 7000 and the "super" off Filey Brigg, and you would be hard pushed to find anywhere rougher than the "Brigg " to fish. The rod handled it very well, I borrowed it a few times and it was one of those rods that you felt was made for you ( me )

I really like older sea angling gear,to collect and use, and really have more than my fair share ...... If I could find another "Super" at the right price I would have it,now that Conoflex are no more I have noticed their rods are becoming collectors pieces... I have a couple that I would not part with.

OMR
My 7000's are a bit on the large size for the flick tip really OMR, but I just like using them, they are the bush bearings type. I sometimes use 6500 types as well. Not sure which rod I have but here is a picture of the butt section.
PS... I have a couple of older Conoflex Carp rods, I shall have to dig them out.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Hi Reedling.... that looks like the spigot I had on my previous standard Flicktip, 8ft tip and 4 ft butt , lovely rods, and quite desirable these days , unfortunatley mine ended up smashed to bits after it flew off the roofrack ,on the motorway, along with a lot of other stuff.There are quite a few Flick Tip Variants around, built on the same mandrells but different lengths and weaves.

I now have a limited edition, in fact the blank was made for me, (quite a few years before Conoflex went bust ) 3 piece Flicktip, it is just under twelve feet, and ideal for clean beaches.

The 7000 is perhaps a bit big, but it will still do the business, as well as any comparable reel, mine has bushes too,, as I dont use it to blast baits to the horizon it works very well,its very smooth, and a good ,well used part of my vintage collection, in fact it will be going to Cornwall with me in a couple of weeks for some rough ground fishing, along with a vintage original USA Penn 525 Multiplier, centrifugal brakes, fixed spindle, not floating as the modern ones have....that reel gets used on my Flicktip, a nice combination as it really is a bullet proof reel.

OMR

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

BeechmereLake wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:04 am
Wagtail wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:47 pm I've just bought an Ambassadeur 8500 and was wondering what type of fishing it is designed for. I guess light sea boat work? There is a code on the reel foot 730100... does this allow the reel to be dated? Any information gratefully received :Hat:
The serial number dates your reel like so, 73 = 1973 01 = January and 00 = no revisions, means the reel is a first version
Thank you, Sir :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

:oops: :surrender: I got so distracted by the discussion of different multipliers that I completely omitted to thank OMR and Watermole+ for their contributions to my knowledge about the 8500. Thank you, to you Gentlemen, along with all those who chipped in :Hat:

I should add that mine has blue side plates and a black handle :tea:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

HI Wagtail..

It very much sounds like your reel is an early American import, and as such is well worth keeping , either as a "user" or display piece.. I am the slightest bit green with envy....I cannot see there being too many of them about.

I would be a bit reluctant to use it myself, then again, quite a bit of street cred amongst those of us that love vintage sea gear, and to see it being used for what it was designed for.. :cheers:

OMR

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Any chance of putting up a picture of your 8500 Wagtail. :Hat:

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

I will try to post a picture at the weekend :Hat:

Return to “ABU Reels”