Senior Wallis Avon

Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods forum.
Badger
Grayling

Re: Senior Wallis Avon

Post by Badger »

Very nice indeed :drool:
"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Beautiful looking rods and they obviously 'work' as well.

Pete

AndyB
Dace

Post by AndyB »

I had the good fortune to see the rod up close at Chiswick and can safely say Andrew has created a true masterpiece. A stunning rod.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Simply peerless ! :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

another stunner from the AJD stable :Thumb:

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

A work of art !
Best Fishes
Mushy

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

What a beautiful rod.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Having had a waggle of this rod myself I can confirm its a belter! :)

Andrew you are the master! really looking forward to seeing this rod in action.
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Being 12' they are not for everyone, I'm sure Andrew can take the length down a bit but I like the reach you get with the 12' and at around 14oz it's not bad for a rod that length. Hopefully come July and a trip to the boarder country and the Wye we may hook something of note and test the cane out. Opochtli has tamed a few fish now and some in very heavy water and the canes all good, straight and set free. Proper construction.

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Hello TFF’ers

Been a while since I have posted anything on here so thought I would add some more to this thread about the Senior Wallis Avon. The second rod I ordered from Andrew is equally as fine as the original rod (Opochtli). It has a slightly smaller diameter wholecane section but it’s slightly stiffer than the original rod butt section so the two rods feel very similar in action. It’s really the splitcane makes these rods so versatile, the but section needs to be a good piece of wholecane to make the action complete.
So far this season I have been giving the second rod a darn good thrashing, recently with a few days on the river Wye; oh and spent a day sat around a pool being baked by this recent mini-heatwave. The couple of days on the Wye were quite noteworthy in my fishing diary, well for all four of us which went. We caught many good chub (around 50 we think) averaging around 2 – 3lb and also a good number of barbel all in great condition, with some barbel getting towards the 9lb mark and pleasingly some smaller ones as well. Oh and a couple of carp from the lake.

Anyhow back to this rod model; when Andrew was making my second rod he also made himself a 11’ 6” version which being that wee bit shorter it may appeal to those who prefer rods around 11’ mark. There is not a massive difference in the action of the rods, it’s just slightly shorter. All personal preference really. Due to the through action of the rods it makes casting with a centre pin reel very enjoyable. So far I have used a number of different sizes down to Garry Mills’ new ‘Millbrook’ reel which is just 3” 5/8 and despite looking a wee bit daft on a big rod was still very a nice pairing. You could even use an egg whisk with these rods if you’re a complete philistine :Chuckle: (you know who you are….tut tut tut :Chuckle: ). If you’ve ever thought that your old Avocet or similar rod is just a tad under-gunned for some rivers then these rods really do bring you back to cane and at around 14oz in weight….not too heavy either in my opinion.

Just a bit more cr*p to fill the Tinter-net up with. Pictures of some recent catches on the second rod:

Wye:

Wye:

Wye:

Wye:

Wye:

Last edited by Badger1 on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods”