Avon Perfection - 3 piece

Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods forum.
Badger1
Roach

Avon Perfection - 3 piece

Post by Badger1 »

This is a little thread just to give this model a bit of publicity. This was a slightly accidental purchase in that initially I over looked the rod or I think we had a couple of conversation about a 3 piece model of the Avon Perfection but I didn’t initially order the rod. Maybe Andrew made it with me in mind and I was a bit dim-witted see the hints when we mentioned a 3 piece rod. I popped up to Redditch to drop off and pick up some other rods and it was sat there in the rack saying “put me with the sister 2 piece rod.....buy me, buy me” so snaffled it up quickly.

But I am a firm believer that if you want to make developments you need to have proto-types and as with everything in life it needs funding i.e. can’t make these things for free as it’s time and materials.

I am a fan of 3 piece rods over 2 piece mainly for the practicality of transporting them around. Two sections of 5’ too 6’ can be awkward to transport around, in my view. If you think it’s fine then fill your boots just a personal preference. I used to cycle to my fishing spots a lot so a 3 piece rod was far more suitable. Obviously a 2 piece rod gives a much more clean action as just the one ferrule joint but if the ferrules are good quality and fit well then I don’t personally see massive disadvantage to having a further joint.

The rod spec itself:

• 11’ 3” 3 piece
• Nickel-silver ferrules
• Lined stand-off rings (may not be the absolute correct name there but the rings are more for float fishing).
• Plain cork handle i.e. no butt cap or button.
• Part Hollow built.
• A super finish of green tipped with red, no intermediates.

I have moved across to using braid lot of my fishing nowadays so the lined rings are on the rod for that purpose. It’s wonderfully light rod so it’s not a burden to hold for a 5/6 hour stint and saves carrying a rod rest if you’re going light. So the 16th arrived and I popped down a local small river for a easy introduction into the new season of grayling and trout on light float set-up and very productive it was too. But last night I decided after work to nip down to a river with far more potential for larger fishes. This stretch is more for ledgering really a few runs for trotting but I fancied bouncing some spam around. Lots of chublette bites and in the end a nice chub which weighed in a nats-cock over 5lb, which I admit looks odd at these photos but a fatty of a chub with a dirt great gob. The action photos are not up to the usual standard.

Another great rod from Andrew which is a very capable creation. I shall stick some further photos of the rod itself at some point.

Right that’s my bit of PR work done for the day now time for tea.

Cheerio

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Avon Perfection - 3 piece

Post by Dave Burr »

Nice!

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Well done again chap, lovely rod and fish! :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I am looking forward to meeting Andrew again, hopefully in a couple of weeks time, and I don't think I am going to be able to resist placing an order!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

Bend it like Beckham.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Tengisgol wrote:I am looking forward to meeting Andrew again, hopefully in a couple of weeks time, and I don't think I am going to be able to resist placing an order!
You will meet him in just 9 days on the Trent!
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Very nice indeed
Bumble

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Bob Brookes wrote:
Tengisgol wrote:I am looking forward to meeting Andrew again, hopefully in a couple of weeks time, and I don't think I am going to be able to resist placing an order!
You will meet him in just 9 days on the Trent!
Can't wait Bob!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Place a load of orders "Tengisgol"....one of each :Hahaha: .....knacker Andrew up and use up all his materials/stock. :Chuckle:

Certainly got a rod for every occasion.....nearly.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Sounds and looks like a lovely rod Badger1.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods”