FWK Wallis Tribute - Wizard/Avocet

Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods forum.
Badger1
Roach

Re: FWK Wallis Tribute - Wizard/Avocet

Post by Badger1 »

Nipped out last wedensday to test this rod out again....hopefully. A couple of hours and a nice brace of barbel. Some serious bends put in the Mr Davis' rod but springs back to it's normal self.

GhyllManor
Grayling

Post by GhyllManor »

J.T wrote:
Badger1 wrote:Note the pipe JT on the left of the matt.....lots of midges/mozzies/flies about so smoke the b*ggers out. I was casting/bouncing the meat while doing a impression of a steam train to to put'em off. :)
Mozzies the size of dinosaurs on the Kennet, that and the stinging nettles are the only things that really get on my nerves there!...

We have twin engined mozzies here in Norfolk, one of the bains of summer fishing, thank god for jungle juice!

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Just a update of the latest barbel for this rod to tame. Must admit this afternoon I picked up the wrong rod....meant to pick up Opochtli/Senior Wallis Avon but this one done the job.....although the "action" shots below are towards the end of the battle as it was a bit full on. Smaller 24" Net and a 7 1/2lb barbel. Order a rod now as Andrew is running out of whole cane :Chuckle:

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Well Done again Will, another cracking Barbel! :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Evening TFF'ers,

I need to fill the Tinter-net up with more cr*p, plus it's been a while since I have posted anything or done some banging on about Andrew's rods. So I thought this was worthy of some waffle.
I took this Wizard down to the Kennet this afternoon not really expecting much as it was a cool night and it was very bright day but I thought I would have wonder around in the autumn sun. Having put some new line on a old Aerial which I had not used before, well I thought I would see how the half-moon line guard at the bottom of reel faired. I still don't line guards even though this was a much nicer position and the reel casted well with it set at the bottom.

After a couple of hours and few chublettes I moved to spot where I had caught barbel before "bouncing" not really rolling my bait around under some overhanging trees. But a after a fruitless 15 to 20 mins I decided I couldn't be arsed with keep casting and bouncing the bait around so I whacked it out right under the far bank into the main flow and allowed the bait to drift way way down stream. It settled in a spot some distance off, in mid river, then I allowed myself to sit back and relax a bit. Looking and listing to the buzzards circling nearby, king fishers darting up and down etc. Generally not taking much notice, just holding the rod. After I suppose another 10mins I had full on continuous pull of the rod as if something had got hold of the meat and said "that's mine, and I am off". It did not dart off but pulled away and when I leaned the rod into the bite it was a very powerful/heavy force on the end.

I tried taking a couple of 'action' shots but there was grease on the phone camera lens and once I realised quite what a lump she was I decided to stop fannying around and risk loosing the fish.

Anyhow, Andrew's rod performed stunningly well with such a lump, it was hooked at distance and the rod was fully utilised as you can imagine. After quite a tussle with a few branches investigated by the barbel.....finally came into the 30" net.....which I must admit.... I am very glad I had with me. Nearly took a much smaller net. Phew.

If you want a modern Wizard which has a backbone and very capable......order one of these.

Last edited by Badger1 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Superb fish ... superb rod ... superb reel ... superb net ... and all in beautifully dappled autumnal sunshine.

Simply perfect !
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

The stuff of dreams Badger, well done indeed.

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Autumn is here; stunning ! Thank you for posting this.

Eddy Pools
Rudd

Post by Eddy Pools »

Great to see such a beautiful Kennet barbel - congratulations and thanks for sharing your experience of catching it.

Gary Wright
Bleak

Post by Gary Wright »

Stunning fish landed with a stunning rod, : :Hat:

Return to “Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods”