Grayling

Re: Tactio up date

Post by Shed_Monkey »

In a word "fan-bloomin'-tastic" :clap: :clap: :clap:

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

What a good thread...may I ask what type of glue is being used please.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I suspect it's Cascamite but don't know for certain.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

James
Rudd

Post by James »

The glue i use is evostik waterproof, the blue bottle. May be 15 years ago i asked Ted Oliver what modern glue to use and he replied EVOSTIK WATERPROOF,over 200 rods later i haven't felt the need to change. I did use cascamite for years but it dries to quick in a hot workshop and before you have the strips bound together it starts to set.

AJD

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Thanks for that James....cascamite is a bit dodgy especially as it gets old. I know what to but next time now!

200 rods eh? Blimey!!!!!

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey »

James wrote:The glue i use is evostik waterproof, the blue bottle. May be 15 years ago i asked Ted Oliver what modern glue to use and he replied EVOSTIK WATERPROOF,over 200 rods later i haven't felt the need to change. I did use cascamite for years but it dries to quick in a hot workshop and before you have the strips bound together it starts to set.

AJD
Thank you for sharing that information - it's the kind of detail that can be hard to learn about. Although there is quite a lot of information relating to cane fly rod building on the internet it tends to be quite American centric and the products mentioned are usually hard to get hold of.
I would never have throught of using good old Evostik.

Similar observations apply to finishes with Helmsman seeming to be the preferred product in the USA. I know from my woodwork that Rustins spar varnish is a very good product and probably what I will try.

Cheers
Steve

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

A typical day between mad designer and the consummate builder.

Below I've added a few of the whatapps messages no need to talk when you have absolute trust
Will update you later but I have prepared the whole cane and about to glue corks on. What type of shape did you want for the handle. The whole cane is gorgeous, hope it all comes together to make the rod of your dreams.
Can't wait Cigar shaped handle is best for touch ledger with a nice collar above the cork.
Now I made the small split cane piece that will be spliced into the whole cane. Next it took a few weeks to find a piece of whole cane suitable ,ie strong ,clean which tapered down towards the ferrule. Using the hot air gun I took all the kinks and bends out .Now straight as a arrow the enamel was scraped off. I used a couple of grades of sand paper then wire wool. That's it a perfect finish. Corks glued on and this rod is coming on nicely.
Happy days time for a tincture
Bumble

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

You both deserve one, Sir. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey »

Thanks for sharing - I am soaking information up like a sponge.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Split cane spliced into whole cane ????? A spliced butt????? That's a new one on me, If I've got it right. probably not....

Return to “Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods”