New Rod "The Nottingham Style"

Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods forum.
GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Re: New Rod "The Nottingham Style"

Post by GarryProcter »

When I picked up my Festival Avon from Andrew last week, I had a waggle of one (I think it might have been Tengisgol's?) - it was very nice indeed! I was tempted to put in an order, until Andrew produced a fly rod that I just had to have... :Hat:

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

I just couldn't resist, As much as I love my AJD "Arun" for barbel trotting, I just had to order the 11ft 3" Nottingham :Wink:

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey »

Paul F wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 8:33 pm I just couldn't resist, As much as I love my AJD "Arun" for barbel trotting, I just had to order the 11ft 3" Nottingham :Wink:
:Ok: :clap: :Ok:

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

Paul F wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 8:33 pm I just couldn't resist, As much as I love my AJD "Arun" for barbel trotting, I just had to order the 11ft 3" Nottingham :Wink:
Can i have 1st dibs on the Arun Paul :Thumb:

ATB Macko

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Macko wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:28 pm
Can i have 1st dibs on the Arun Paul :Thumb:

ATB Macko
Sorry Macko I won't be selling it, it is one of my alltime favourites and will be rotated and get used :Hat:

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Luckily I spent my spare cash for a cane fly rod (of which more as soon as I have it in hands, hopefully before the end of the year). But perhaps next year...

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Good Moaning TFF'ers

Been many moons since I uploaded more waffle and bull onto the Tinter-web. But I thought I ought to expand on Andrew's thread here and give him some more free marketing.

I have the shorter 11’ 3” version of ‘The Nottingham Style’ rod which is pictured at the start of this thread. It is funny but I am not usually a fan of long two piece rods as basically I find them a faff to transport about. Carrying two pieces of cane which are verging on 5’+ in length is performance sometimes, especially in a smaller car but that is just a silly personal thing. Andrew has always banged on about being better action and I am sure it is as obviously there is just the one joint but….does it make that much of a difference? Well it does, annoyingly :Chuckle: . I have been using this rod almost exclusively so far this season and it’s been a pleasure to use. It’s extremely light due to the hollow built construction (I think it’s under 14oz in weight, but I would need to check that) which means you can fish solidly for hours on end without arm fatigue. It casts very well too, with the all-through action aids casting. It will cast a light ledger or float tackle some distance (not in the John Wilson or John Bailey school of centre pin fishing I should add), I have found myself getting carried away a bit casting…..giving it the beans.
I have to admit my season on the Kennet has been a very poor start, the barbel are playing hard to get or maybe have moved on/been hounded out although the river generally has been in a poor shape until the recent rain which seems to have perked everything up a bit so hope for better things to come. So to cheer me up a few of us went to the Wye for a yearly wee bash, plenty of food and drink…oh and some fishing. I only took this rod for the river as I was sure it could cope even if we had some rain, we made our way to a section I knew had deeper fast water further down the beat and although I wondered how the rod would cope I headed straight to this area to give it a darn good thrashing. You have to position yourself when using a light ledger in deeper fast water so you don’t stress the tip out of the rod and I find holding the rod helps as you can feel when its getting too much for the tip. Well I find it’s “safer” as if you get a fish which aggressive shoots off you can absorb the shock along the rod rather than the tip taking a spanking. I was fishing on my own so no “action shots” and my current mobile phone is a pile of **** for taking pictures but the rod handled the situation fine managing to get these fish out of swims where the water was pushing through a tad. It did take some time and you can’t bully them out, the barbel were not knackered either they just sat in the current most of the time with gentle persuasion to come my way.

One thing though……if you fish like Mr Crabtree when getting them to the net i.e. rod hooped over…..it will end up in tears :Chuckle: .

At the moment if you wanted a 11’ 3” rod which was light to hand for trotting or light legdering and capable of taming reasonable fish then this wee rod is a right……Wizard.

Ta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Thanks for the update badger, and lovely looking Wye barbel too.

Roll on the new season June 2018 when my rod will be ready for me :fishing1:

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

I was lucky enough to wiggle one of these rods yesterday up at Long Eaton, they are the bees knees, works of art !
Best Fishes
Mushy

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Must admit Mushy.....it's become a firm favourite. They are so light yet powerful. A great action. I am going to give my rod a darn good thrashing this season. I am going to try and get up to the Trent later this month and try for barbel on the float in the true Nottingham Style. If that does'nt work then Ledger :).

Return to “Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods”