A rather special Kennet Perfection

Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods forum.
Badger1
Roach

A rather special Kennet Perfection

Post by Badger1 »

Andrew's recent creation....a much improved Kennet Perfection. Using Ted Oliver's taper but part-hollow built to stiffen the action, rather than the wishy-washy B.James things you find.

MGs
Pike

Re: A rather special Kennet Perfection

Post by MGs »

Very nice
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

I must admit I have a James Kennet Perfection and I'm never quite sure when to use it? Certainly not for barbel as it lacks back bone and not for roach as it lacks finesse.
I recall someone talked of using it for tench, which sort of makes sense, Kennet Perfection? not sure about that!

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Hi Tadpole,

I've had a waggle of many B.James Kennet Perfections over the years and only one was nice, and that was a early one which was probably a Southwell bank.
I find the same issue as you....not up to Barbel but too heavy for Roach. I think Fred Crouch always used a Oliver's Kennet and it is a different Taper to the James rod, it has something more about it. I've got a Oliver's one but I discussed with Andrew for ages about creating something even more suitable.....temper it to verging on being charcoal and hollow built it to stiffen the action. Its worked a treat so much so that Andrews built himself one to keep.....rare for a rod maker! :chuckle:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Badger1 wrote:Hi Tadpole,

I've had a waggle of many B.James Kennet Perfections over the years and only one was nice, and that was a early one which was probably a Southwell bank.
I find the same issue as you....not up to Barbel but too heavy for Roach. I think Fred Crouch always used a Oliver's Kennet and it is a different Taper to the James rod, it has something more about it. I've got a Oliver's one but I discussed with Andrew for ages about creating something even more suitable.....temper it to verging on being charcoal and hollow built it to stiffen the action. Its worked a treat so much so that Andrews built himself one to keep.....rare for a rod maker! :chuckle:
I have a Fred Crouch barbel perfection by Scottie rods with is 11' 6" and based on the Kennet Perfection but with plenty of power yet a fine(ish) tip.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Very nice indeed. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

A lovely rod indeed, now added to my list of wanted Rod's....damn you Badger1!!! :chuckle:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

There was an Oliver's Kennet Perfection at Angling Auctions recently which I did like, but it went for a lot in the end £300 or so.
It had modern stand off rings which in a strange kinda way I quite liked, perfect for trotting.

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Ted Oliver's rods are still the best split-cane which was made in my view, his rods can fetch mega money now if rare/unused/super condition. They were a bit tight on the varnish which lets the finish down sometimes, if the rod has had a good/hard-life but saying that they are verging on 40years+ old now.

Oddly I've been told that Ted was not/isn't interested in fishing itself....just a bloom'in great rod maker. Believe he's still kicking around? Think I've managed to pick up 6 rods from Oliver's and everyone of them (in cane terms) is cracking. The Tench rod they made is a creation....it came in 12, 13, 14 foot I think. I've got a 13' model and one day I will take it out after barbel.....but with a rod rest!

But this KP Andrew's made me is by far the best Kennet Perfection taper rod I've ever handled by a country-mile and it's all down to the tempering & part hollow-built construction.

Ta

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Tadpole wrote:There was an Oliver's Kennet Perfection at Angling Auctions recently which I did like, but it went for a lot in the end £300 or so.
It had modern stand off rings which in a strange kinda way I quite liked, perfect for trotting.
Horses for course I suppose Nick - I hated those rings and thought they ruined an otherwise good rod!
Jim

Return to “Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods”