Bitten by an eel

This forum is for discussing eels.
Blunderer
Bleak

Bitten by an eel

Post by Blunderer »

Last week whilst fishing The Ribble, not for the first time, I foulhooked an eel in the belly. By the time I retrieved, the little git was wrapped around the hooklink and throwing a wobbler. After a few minutes battling (and it was hand-to-hand combat) with the critter, as it's head waved around like Medusa, it opened it's jaws and clamped them shut on my leg. It caught my thigh but as I pulled, came off the flesh but stuck fast on my jeans. I'd assume it's teeth got stuck in the denim, because the eel was then stuck fast and took some serious extraction from my leg.

Has anyone else been attacked by a renegade eel?

Kingfisher
Catfish

Re: Bitten by an eel

Post by Kingfisher »

I've never been bitten by an eel but a friend once told me that they used to catch Eels by filling nylon stockings with meat and then throwing it in on a line. The Eels teeth because of the way they're situated in the fishes mouth, then get stuck in the stockings when it tries taking a bite.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Kingfisher a bit like eel babbing? This involved threading a line of worms up either wool or good old hairy string then "fishing" in this manner. The eels teeth get stuck in the lose fibres and you can bring them in. I remember my Granddad telling me about the times he did this to catch tea!
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Sounds like it was a proper Lankie eel trying to repel the invader from the East.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I've been bitten by a couple, back when we caught more of them. They have a fine ridge of teeth and quite a strong jaw but not quite comparable with their sea going conger cousins - they really do hang on. I found out when, as an experiment, I put a gloved finger in the mouth of a twelve pounder :doh: Shan't do that again in a hurry.

I think you'd have to be pretty unlucky to be injured by an eel but I can see how they may get attached to your clothing. Trout have worse teeth that eels.

Now, pike. That's a whole different story and I've lost gallons of (well - some), blood thanks to them.

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

I have yet to be bitten by an eel but I certainly find no pleasure in handling them. Caught a two and a half punder with my first cast this morning and felt like I had gone a round with Mick McManus by the time I had it unhooked and returned to the lake.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Got stung by a bee once
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Loop Erimder wrote:Got stung by a bee once

Did the bee survive? :Tongue:

Izaak Walton

Blunderer
Bleak

Post by Blunderer »

The Old Buffer wrote:I have yet to be bitten by an eel but I certainly find no pleasure in handling them. Caught a two and a half punder with my first cast this morning and felt like I had gone a round with Mick McManus by the time I had it unhooked and returned to the lake.
Unhooking a mouth-hooked eel is a walk in the park compared to one foul hooked in its leathery flank. It's happened to me a few times because they obviously sit behind the feeder scoffing the contents. And I suspect my latest addition of spicy sausage flavoured halibut pellets was to their liking.

You have to cut the line. No other option. Just accept you can't win the fight.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I remember my Dad catching one years ago and Mum cooking it with the skin on. Boy oh boy was that skin tough!!

Izaak Walton

Return to “Eel (Anguilla anguilla)”