how to tame a eel.

This forum is for discussing eels.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: how to tame a eel.

Post by Snape »

That's a monster Bob :thumb: . How heavy was it?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

BobH

Post by BobH »

Snape wrote:That's a monster Bob :thumb: . How heavy was it?
Snape; it was 7lbs 2ozs, after about another 1000 rod hrs I hooked an even bigger Eel, it was still hanging on the outside of a 50inch Landing net when it dropped off and back into the pond.

I gave up Eel fishing after that loss, life was just too short.

Bob
Last edited by BobH on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bowles

Post by Bowles »

BobH wrote:
Snape wrote:That's a monster Bob :thumb: . How heavy was it?
Snape; it was 7lbs 2ozs, after about another 1000 rod hrs I hooked an even bigger Eel, it was still hanging on the outside of a 50inch Landing net when it dropped off and back into the pond.

I gave up Eel after that loss, life was just too short.

Bob
An even bigger eel, blimey mate that would have been a real monster if you had got it in, thats not knocking your 7lb eel either because that is a fish of a life time! WELL DONE SIR! :hat:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I try hard not to touch the eels that I catch, and where possible unhook them in the landing net with forceps, using the weight of the eel to dislodge the hook. If deeply hooked, which is very rare, I cut the line rather than messing about with a disgorger!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I had been reading about this method of stroking the Eel and even saw some video of it, low and behold within a few weeks I had hooked an Eel and decided to try this out, I put my left hand over the head and eyes, with my right hand I laid it onto it's side and then stroked down from head to tail with my hand still over the eyes, I stood up and went to get a disgorger, the Eel lying perfectly still.

2 old guys fishing either side of me were transfixed, they thought I had got some sort of gift, anyway I was able to remove the hook in my own time and then return it to the water, as soon as it touched the water it sprang back to life and shot off.

I now look forward to picking up an Eel so I can practice it again, I've done it 3 times since, it really works like magic.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

You do have a sort of gift - you're a member of this forum!
Just be careful to let on where you learned it before they start wearing cloves of garlic and drifting round to the opposite side of the lake when you pitch up; from "Wicker-basket man" to Wicca man to Wicker Man isn't far...
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Vole wrote:You do have a sort of gift - you're a member of this forum!
Just be careful to let on where you learned it before they start wearing cloves of garlic and drifting round to the opposite side of the lake when you pitch up; from "Wicker-basket man" to Wicca man to Wicker Man isn't far...
Something like this....?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Eel (Anguilla anguilla)”