This forum is for discussing bream.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Bream

Post by Mark »

I'm not keen on them.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

When I've just had a take/bite/run, whatever you want to call it, nothing quite pees on the adrenaline bonfire like realising it's a sodding bream. Of all the species they are without doubt the most detestable.

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

I agree. It takes ages to clean the line off after catching one, then set up the rig again, cast out only to catch another bloody bream! I have even tried using larger baits but they still manage to hook themselves.

Which is worse though; a bream or a bootlace eel?

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

My 2p worth, contrary to those before me, I have nothing against bream. :hide: A bream was the first fish over 1lb that I ever caught (3lb 12oz). Maybe I have been lucky, but I have taken some decent catches of reasonable bream from the Lower Severn, Middle Thames and a stillwater down here. In all three locations they fought harder than I was expecting and were far less slimey than their smaller bretheren or those from other waters. Targeting them can be rewarding but also frustrating.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

I don't mind bream either, in fact they can be very welcome on a otherwise blank day. :thumb:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

I must admit, despite my dislike for them a specimen sized one of say 12lb would be welcome (ish). If only they gave just a little bit more of themselves, then I could forgive the slime and stench but when winding even a 7 or 8 pounder in is like a table tennis bat skating across the surface.... it takes a lot to like bream.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Can't stand the bloody things!! They're up there with eels to me! St.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I read somewhere that years ago in Ireland they use to net them and spread them on the fields as fertiliser. Not sure if there is any truth to this. I'm not keen on them but I would hate to see them strewn all over a field.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I must be swimming against the tide. Although I have no love of small eels, an eel of 3lb or more will put up a great scrap. As a pleasure angler most if not all fish are welcome. Many's the time a bream has saved me from blanking.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

MGs wrote: Many's the time a bream has saved me from blanking.
Now I have no fear of blanking — you're just another day closer to your next fish — and it's probably a good job too, as being a regular on the Gt. Ouse blanks seem to happen with increasing regularity. Believe it or not, I have done several day sessions on the trot up there without so much as a twitch. In my defense I have been chasing the big barbel and avoiding using the baits that would otherwise mean catching lots of small perch and chublets.

Return to “Bream (Abramis brama)”