Re: Bream

This forum is for discussing bream.
Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Love 'em to bits! None of this arm-wrenching now-look-what-youv'e-done-to-my-gob malarkey that carp are prone to, you persuade them in, it's more of a debate than a fight:
"Gotcha!"
"Hmm...something wrong with this bit of bread..."
"In you come!"
"I hear the middle of the lake is very nice, this time of year, I'll go and see..."
"No, you don't."
"Look, if you were so fond of that piece of bread, why'd you leave it in the middle of the lake?"
"Ups a daisy"
"Bleuch...air! Nasty stuff. While I'm here, would you mind removing that - oh, ta...Five pounds how many? S'pose it's all those boilies. Oh well, See you soon, I s'pose, but not if I see you first."

If you don't want to get your net messy, just unhook them in the water.*

Do, please, give their tails a little shake, so they wake up and swim off properly!

* This seems to upset them less than netting, so you can catch more, even from a close-in swim!

---

I often get teased about using 10lb line and carp dacron for them... there are few better stalking-horses for carp than a shoal of bream. If you've had to bully a shower of slimeys off the groundbait, it must be good nosh and perfectly safe, mustn't it?

I employ the same philosophy when I go gudgeon fishing for chub. (Post #4 in this link:http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/fm-n ... esign.html )
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Vole wrote:
If you don't want to get your net messy, just unhook them in the water.*

* This seems to upset them less than netting, so you can catch more, even from a close-in swim!
I'd agree with that, I do the same unless they are large. Then I unhook them in the net with the arms of the net resting on my knees. That way the slime stays in the net and not on you.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

I was fishing the Old Lake at Bury Hill last year and had a run of 3 or 4 bream which when hooked would leap out of the water 4 feet in the air and splash back down then actually put up a bit of a fight before doing the normal roll over and give up, I liked those bream a lot! :thumb:

Here is one of the little high flyers with the "Dorset" and Mitchell match reel!

"piscator non solum piscatur"

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Ah, the RAF bream. They do that at Stanborough, too, hooked on the bottom of eight feet of water.

Scare the hell out of me, always think it's a duck!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

I like bream. Yes, they can be a pain when you're after carp - especially when you have to get out of the sleeping bag at three am in the pi$$ing rain to wind one in and release it, then dry off the rig, re-bait, make a new pva bag and get the whole lot back onto that little gravel spot under the overhanging trees at the end of the island - but a roach or rudd caught under the same circumstances is just as unwelcome, unless it's a big one. In their proper sphere bream can be entertaining enough. Much is made of the lack of fight, but there are other species for whom the attraction lies in the persuasion to take, not the battle for freedom that follows, and they are nor reviled because of it. Perhaps it's the slime? Maybe - but tench can be just as slimy as bream.

Fifty years ago I reckon more anglers habitually fished for bream than for barbel or carp - for one thing they were more widely available, and for another they were - along with roach and pike - the coarse fisherman's staple quarry. Now, I can't imagine the species had evolved much in the intervening half century, so I presume it was just as slimy and lethargic back then as now. Why then is it so widely despised today?

BobH

Post by BobH »

I have had some Monsters when I was into Serious Tench Fishing, Great Big Slabs and they really don't do a thing for me.

I have some very good mates who love the things, they weeks trying to catch them !!

I just don't get the appleal, they are difficult to catch when Big, They don't fight on sensible tackle and they Slime everything up ?

Crazy .

Bob

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

BobH wrote:I have had some Monsters when I was into Serious Tench Fishing, Great Big Slabs and they really don't do a thing for me.

I have some very good mates who love the things, they weeks trying to catch them !!

I just don't get the appleal, they are difficult to catch when Big, They don't fight on sensible tackle and they Slime everything up ?

Crazy .

Bob
Perhaps there's your answer?

BobH

Post by BobH »

gloucesteroldspot wrote:
BobH wrote:I have had some Monsters when I was into Serious Tench Fishing, Great Big Slabs and they really don't do a thing for me.

Crazy .

Bob
Perhaps there's your answer?
GOS,

Not the way I fish for them :cool:

Bream as big as Carp !!

Bob

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Anyone caught one on floating crust? I have, several times..shudder-shudder-shudder....! :o

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

farliesbirthday wrote:Anyone caught one on floating crust? I have, several times..shudder-shudder-shudder....! :o
I had a skimmer bream about a pound on floating crust last summer FB.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Bream (Abramis brama)”