Re: Bream

This forum is for discussing bream.
Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

When does a skimmer bream become just a bream and why are they called skimmers?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Match anglers used to call them skimmers as they could be skimmed across the surface quickly. Really small ones were known as razor blades. As to when a skimmer becomes a proper bream, I don't think there's a definitive point. For my part, up to two pounds or so they're skimmers; over that, bream.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

gloucesteroldspot wrote:Match anglers used to call them skimmers as they could be skimmed across the surface quickly. Really small ones were known as razor blades. As to when a skimmer becomes a proper bream, I don't think there's a definitive point. For my part, up to two pounds or so they're skimmers; over that, bream.
Excellent. Thanks GOS. :thumb:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I'd agree with that GOS. It is about that weight that they tend to take on a more bronze than silver look.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

BobH

Post by BobH »

I have watched Bream smashing into shoals of Fry on Landridge has anyone heard of a Bream taking a Livebait ?

Bob

GloucesterOldSpot

It's also about the upper limit for skimming them to hand. I think the body thickness increases with maturity, resulting in a more solid fish which is perhaps why they don't skim so well above that weight. Certainly the biggest ones I've caught couldn't be skimmed, and they were taken on heavy carp tackle.

GloucesterOldSpot

BobH wrote:I have watched Bream smashing into shoals of Fry on Landridge has anyone heard of a Bream taking a Livebait ?

Bob
Yes - at Aldenham Reservoir in the days before they lowered the level to kill off the marginal weed. In August and September vast shoals of small fish sheltered in these weeds, and most evenings perch would patrol the dam wall, slashing into the fry. On occasions I spotted bream among the perch, behaving in the same fashion. It was almost as if they'd become part of the shoal.

Peter Stone wrote about seeing big bream chasing bleak on the Thames in Waterlog.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Not unusual for a lot of species we don't usually use fish baits for. The carp in Cyprus often used to take deadbaits intended for freshwater bass.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

John Davis

Post by John Davis »

I had a bream on a dace deadbait while fishing for zander on the River Trent last week, and just after Christmas I caught a barbel on a 2'' section of smelt meant for a big old chub, again out of the Trent.

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

I feel I ought to leap to the defence of Norfolk's staple fish - there are many anglers in this part of the world who fish for nothing but bream - but somehow I just can't. As a blank saver they are OK but I only ever suffer a little droop of disappointment when I realise the run I've had is a bream and not a carp or chub. That being said it may partly be because they are so darned easy to catch round here - if there was a tad more skill in enticing them I'd probably like them more.

Jim

Return to “Bream (Abramis brama)”