Spawning in May

This forum is for discussing bream.
Riparian
Bleak

Spawning in May

Post by Riparian »

Whilst out searching in the fens for where the Hobbys will nest this year, I stopped by the Forty Foot river. The water had been clouded by a sizeable shoal of bream which I initially thought must be feeding but no, spawning was underway. Like even the more lethargic people, they can show a surprising turn of speed when the urge is upon them! There were more three to six pounders than you could shake a stick at but when they take up residence about three quarters of a mile from there, back in the Sixteen Foot, I'll be happy to catch two or three in an evening's float-fishing in June.
"It is the most delicious form of idling known to me."

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Re: Spawning in May

Post by Woodytia »

I'm always amazed just how many big fish put in an appearance when fish are spawning, I have a vivid memory of watching Tench spawn and the resident Carp feeding off said spawn, two of the Carp were known fish and weighed around 16lb a piece. As I watched a dark coloured fish of similar size emerged from the depths to join them, I thought it was a Carp I'd not seen before but it was in fact a Tench which was easily twice the size of the others in the spawning shoal. They are not on the move yet but I keep looking and trying to catch them and perhaps one day I'll get an even closer look.

Return to “Bream (Abramis brama)”