Red loch bream

This forum is for discussing bream.
Ian
Eel

Red loch bream

Post by Ian »

Rab and I went to this small loch on Sunday for the third weekend running.we had a light easterly breeze and bright warm sunshine,not the sort of conditions I would consider to be good for fishing but a change from the usual westerlys and rain.
When we fish the loch we sit on opposite banks,rab favours the West Bank and i the east but we both catch fish from our chosen swims.i do well when it's a westerly and as I found out on Sunday rab does well in an easterly,basically the bank the wind blows into produces more fish but not necessarily the biggest as i proved with the above bream.
I like to feeder fish with more traditional brown crumb with maggots,corn and worms on the hook.i like to chop the corn up before I add it to the crumb along with maggots and chopped worm.
I usually catch well in the beginning on yellow maggots but after a few hours they shy away from them and I have to change to corn,worm or the famous worm and corn cocktail,only then do I start catching again.
On Sunday though,I could not get a bite on maggots,they weren't interested.i moved on to the next bait of choice,the worm and anyone would think worm would be a banker.not a bite on that either.turns out the only thing the bream were showing any interest in was a single grain of corn,just goes to show,you think you've got it Sussed and the fish prove otherwise,so the key,I've learned,is to keep trying different baits.
Rab,being a bit younger and has done a bit of carp fishing prefers pellets.he never fails to catch on them and on sunday he caught 4 nice roach on them,the best going over a pound.he managed a couple of small bream too.
I know there are double figure bream in this loch but I think I have to change to a different bait or different tactics to catch one,is there anything I could change to give me a better chance of capturing one,anyone any ideas?
Rab always gets fish on the bank early in the session on pellets but it takes me a couple of hours to build my swim up and then I do well.

Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Red loch bream

Post by Mark »

Nice bream Ian.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Nice bream, Ian! Unfortunately I don't have any idea how to fish for the big ones. I never catch bream on purpose.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Duebel wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:36 pm Nice bream, Ian! Unfortunately I don't have any idea how to fish for the big ones. I never catch bream on purpose.
You should give it a go some day duebel,bream are great to fish for.i don't really think there is a way to be more selective with the size but like roach they will probably shoal in there age groups and the bigger ones will be very wary.no doubt they won't deviate from their patrol routes for example there's a loch not far from me and it has double figure bream but they get very rarely caught,I mean one every few years.i roach fish on this loch from the beginning of may through til October and the only time I've saw them is when they roll on the surface in may,they then disappear completely.only they know where they go.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Ian wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:13 pmI know there are double figure bream in this loch but I think I have to change to a different bait or different tactics to catch one,is there anything I could change to give me a better chance of capturing one,anyone any ideas?
I have an extra (ex libris) copy of Peter Stone's "Bream and Barbel' which may be of some interest, Sir ...especially the short chapter on "Suggested Methods for Big Bream."

PM me your name and address and I'll send it to you.

There's also this youtube video of John Wilson's Greatest Catches ... this one being 9 double figure bream :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbvd4aZt7B4
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Good grief! I've never seen a stillwater bream pull like that!
My own best, 9:08 ish, was no problem on roach gear, but it was a Lea fish that had probably seen it all before and wasn't particularly worried.
Sorry to be no use, but that was fluked on two red maggots.
My best bream scrap was from a five-pounder of the tidal Thames; I couldn't believe it was neither a carp nor a barbel; nor foul-hooked.

I did have a good response from pay-lake bream to a bread-paste with the last, yeasty bit of a home-brewed ale in it (low in hops) but my favourite bream lake was taken over by a club shortly after, and I never got around to repeating the experiment.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

A good method for Bream is brown crumb and crazy bait gold fishmeal groundbait with a cup of PV1 binder ... casters in the mix and brandlings and caster on the hook fish a paternoster with a tail of a minimum 2' long as a starting point... if the bites are hard to come by, lenthen it to 3' 4' or even 5' long.... if they come more frequently shorten it up... you can add small 2 or 3mm pellets to the mix if that fishery allows as they seem to draw fish in
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

AshbyCut wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:23 pm
Ian wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:13 pmI know there are double figure bream in this loch but I think I have to change to a different bait or different tactics to catch one,is there anything I could change to give me a better chance of capturing one,anyone any ideas?
I have an extra (ex libris) copy of Peter Stone's "Bream and Barbel' which may be of some interest, Sir ...especially the short chapter on "Suggested Methods for Big Bream."

PM me your name and address and I'll send it to you.

There's also this youtube video of John Wilson's Greatest Catches ... this one being 9 double figure bream :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbvd4aZt7B4
Cheers for the offer ashbycut,I've saw the john Wilson video,what a catch of bream and if I remember right he put plenty of bait in the night before.he is one lucky guy,we would be over the moon with those bream but just to acknowledge that the bream had stopped feeding he catches a perch about 2lb,haha,what a guy

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Vole wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:03 am Good grief! I've never seen a stillwater bream pull like that!
My own best, 9:08 ish, was no problem on roach gear, but it was a Lea fish that had probably seen it all before and wasn't particularly worried.
Sorry to be no use, but that was fluked on two red maggots.
My best bream scrap was from a five-pounder of the tidal Thames; I couldn't believe it was neither a carp nor a barbel; nor foul-hooked.

I did have a good response from pay-lake bream to a bread-paste with the last, yeasty bit of a home-brewed ale in it (low in hops) but my favourite bream lake was taken over by a club shortly after, and I never got around to repeating the experiment.
Bread might be an option vole,not many fish refuse the stuff and it certainly picks off the better roach.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Bread would be my first choice, unless it always got snaffled by tiddlers. A bit of wet, pressed Warburtons on a #12 for starters, going up to a quarter-slice of fresh, rolled up tight and lashed onto the back of a #6 with several turns of white or cream cotton ( or silk, so long as it will rot) if tinies prove problematic. Yes, the latter is big and buoyant, and may need a shot to get it down, but any roach that takes that won't be a nuisance fish, and any bream worth catching will not reject it without good reason.

A mate always lets his groundbait ferment a few days, and his bream catches, which are a by-catch from the carp he's really after, are often quite something. Sometimes he gets them on two one-inch cubes of meat, hair-rigged on a size two; when he steps down to one cube on a four, he's getting serious about them. Two pinkies on a #20 is definitely only for highly pressured bream!
Of course, he might have got them so drunk that they drop their guard...
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Return to “Bream (Abramis brama)”