Silver Bream

This forum is for discussing bream.
Moving Shadow

Re: Silver Bream

Post by Moving Shadow »

John Davis wrote:Yes, they were from a short pound, and funnily enough usually always from the same area. I have fished the Coventry canal the last couple of years, for eels mainly and I've fished the Ashby canal for Zander in the past. I will be trying for those Silvers again around the end of April which was when we first started to find them, but August and early September was better.
Let us know how you get on with them John as I'll be fishing for them then, and it'd be good to compare notes. How do you go about the eel fishing? I've only heard of one coming out local to me, which fell to rod fishing a roach head at night for zander( he also had a rare canal double figure zed the same night!) and only seen one three pounder dead in the water.
Mark wrote:I use to fish the Ashby Canal for years and have caught some nice zander and roach, my best roach being 1lb 12oz. This time of the year it’s not too bad but in the summer it a boaters paradise, you have 22 miles of canal without a lock so as we use to say it’s a boat a chuck. I must give it a try again, before the summer.
The stamp of roach near me is the same, Mark. Large. Average fish is a pound and run up to two pounds or so, though my best canal roach, after three years of trying to beat it, remains at one-fifteen. The Ashby is really the same pound as the Coventry Canal where I fish it, I think, as it has no locks and they join without obstruction. I suppose it follows that the fish populations are similar?

John Davis

Re: Silver Bream

Post by John Davis »

I have only just started eel fishing the Coventry canal last year, mainly beacause a mate wanted to fish on there. I had eels to just over 3lb on worms, and putting out a dead bait always ended up with a zander, infact worms were taken by zander nearly as frequently and I regularly caught several in a night. Most of my eel fishing on the Coventry was towards the Fradley area, one or two nice pubs around there which we visited prior to a nights fishing...

Return to “Bream (Abramis brama)”