Big Bream to the fly at Rutland Water

This forum is for discussing bream.
Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Big Bream to the fly at Rutland Water

Post by Rutland Rod »

The Stamford and Rutland Mercury last week reports Bream to 9lb caught on the fly.............got to be fish into double figures in my local res.
Tight lines
Dave

Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Big Bream to the fly at Rutland Water

Post by Beresford »

I know of one rod taking three fish last year that were close to 20lb each. They were returned. I've taken roach to 2lbs and perch to 3lb on the fly. There are colossal shoals of out size or rather specimen size coarse fish in both Rutland and Grafham.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

You can add Blythfield Res on that list of large fish being caught on the fly.As are the booked days fishing for the pike that produce some very big pike.I have been told that there is a long waiting list.But on the minus side of that the pike are caught at some depth that cannot do the fish any good.Not something that I would want to do.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

My friend, the late and great Peter Stone caught a monster Bream from Farmoor 1 whilst flyfishing. It was well over the record at the time but not claimed by Peter because it was in the closed season for coarse fish even though it was caught legitimately on fly. Back then there was a type of honour with regard to fish and fishing that I feel is lacking today!

It was also Peter who encouraged me to have a go for Tench on the Fly....so I did.

It always surprises me how aggressive supposedly placid fish like Tench, Bream and even Roach to some extent become when taking fry. I once saw a shoal of Bream almost beaching themselves whilst chasing fry....not their expected behaviour. If it had been Perch or Pike I would not have been surprised but 'placid' Bream tearing up the place in their pursuit of small fry was a jaw dropping moment I can assure you. I would never have believed any one else telling me about this type of behaviour but have seen first hand now, many times over the years.

I suppose I have learned over the many years I have been fishing that nature and fish in particular will never cease to amaze me....long may it continue to do so.

As ever,......

Mole Power!!! :Sun:
Say aye tae'a pie!

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I've seen a very large bream wallowing around as it couldn't cope with the waves, perhaps it had been injured. I've seen the pike at spawning time at Rutland lying in the water like a lot of submerged logs. I don't think I saw anything truly monstrous but lots of 20s and 30s. It can be a bit alarming sometimes when the pike go for a trout that you've hooked. One launched itself from under the boat – that fish was at least 30lbs. I know carp of 20lbs have been taken at Rutland on nymphs.

It would never be a surprise to me if a specimen of record proportions, be it trout or any coarse fish, was taken from Grafham. We've often had some really cracking perch and they look so beautifully coloured when inhabiting such rich water.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “Bream (Abramis brama)”