Milwards Swimaster Rod

The Milwards Rods forum.
Lucky Strike
Perch

Milwards Swimaster Rod

Post by Lucky Strike »

Does anyone have any experience of this rod?
I'm considering one but wanted to ask around first.
Length: 12ft
Weight: 11oz

Badger1
Roach

Re: Milwards Swimaster Rod

Post by Badger1 »

Hi 'Luck Strike',

Yesterday I decided I needed to try and achieve something quite minor which I was slightly annoying me. Up to yesterday I had never caught a barbel trotting so I decided to go a bit......gung-ho and use a Milwards Swimmaster to see how it would cope.

I thought I would target some tiddlers to start with so used 6lb mainline to a hook-to-nylon :) 3lb 8oz with size 18 barbless and then go straight through to the hook for the barbel. A few good handfuls of maggots and sweetcorn into a carefully chosen swim must have sparked some interest from Barbus Barbus. On trot number three the barbel below took the maggots. It was quite a battle on a Swimmaster but in a relatively snag-free swim I won the day but it took 10-15mins and on occasions the whole rod was in action, full curve.

The rod itself is as you say 12' 3 piece all splitcane rod, hollow built I believe on the butt section. I think the Swimmaster was one of Milwards 'top range rods'. Yesterday it was a joy for trotting, I fished continuously from about 1430-1930hrs. I caught dozens and dozens of chublettes, some larger chub of 2lb ish, dace and the best of all about 8 roach around 8-12oz and lost another barbel. Fishing for that length of time the rod was not too heavy at all.

If you want any further info about a Swimmaster drop me a PM as I can send some pictures. Very good rods, superbly balanced, and well worth the money for a good one. Just think what modern makers would charge for a copy/similar rod :).

Badger1

Martin James
Tench

Re: Milwards Swimaster Rod

Post by Martin James »

Lucky Strike I've used my Swimaster for tench finding it ideal during which I hooked and landed several common carp between 10-12lbs, on two occasions the carp went deep into bankside sedges but by just keeping a tight line with the occasional sawing motion on the line they eventually come out into the more open water. I've recently had it given two coats of matt varnish, also pointing out to Mick Holgate the rod builder to ensure the varnish went well into the area where the guides meet the cane. It's now ready for a new season.

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”