Matchmaster help required

The Milwards Rods forum.
Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Matchmaster help required

Post by Harry H »

A few questions for you chap's
What is the whipping thread called?
Do you know what the correct eye spacings are?
The tip is a bit short but do you think the top section is correct as its a different colour?
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Thanks :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

MGs
Pike

Re: Matchmaster help required

Post by MGs »

No idea on the ring spacing. The whipping is called red and black jasper (quite hard to come by). Not sure about the tip. Hard to tell from the photo but it looks like fibreglass. Could alternatively been greenheart or lancewood, which would account for the colour difference
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Harry I have a Matchmaster - see this thread http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... 0783552a35

As you can see yours arrived in better condition than mine!

Like yours, the tip on my rod is darker (it is definitely original) BUT from the look of your pictures the difference is that yours is a glass fibre tip whereas mine is split cane. Also the tip is a bit short on mine and I don't think it had lost anything from original. Perhaps your is a later model?

I will need to measure the ring spacings when time allows, probably tomorrow. Allowing that both of the Matchmasters that I have seen were whipped in red/black twist thread, it may be that your rings are original and that therefore the spacing is correct.
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think it's more properly called 'twist' ....jasper is an old nickname for wasps and was, I think, originally used to describe just yellow and black bi-colour twisted silk.

Note that the red is in a higher proportion than the black. It's hard to find now...we did have a member with a large spool but I think he's sold it all off now.

Hopkins and Holloway did have some in nylon once...not on their site now but worth a 'phone call.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Nobby wrote:I think it's more properly called 'twist' ....jasper is an old nickname for wasps and was, I think, originally used to describe just yellow and black bi-colour twisted silk.

Note that the red is in a higher proportion than the black. It's hard to find now...we did have a member with a large spool but I think he's sold it all off now.

Hopkins and Holloway did have some in nylon once...not on their site now but worth a 'phone call.
Thanks to you both for your information
Nobby I had forgotten about calling Wasps Jasper's, took me right back to being a kid again.
It looks like the previous owner started refurbishing the rod and had the same problem. The silk that's on it is more black/red rather than red /black. I think I will try and find some as it looks great .Image
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Try a PM to AshbyCut. I know that he sourced some twist thread from the USA, with a good service. I have a feeling it was green and black, not red and black. He may be able to put you in touch with the seller, just in case they can help
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Harry H, looking at your photos again and comparing to my rod I've noticed that the two male ferrules on your rod do not match. I wonder if the top section is original at all? Perhaps sometime in the past the original broke and a suitable replacement that fitted was used.

Equally, whole cane/fibreglass combinations were produced by some manufacturers, so it may be an original top (though the ferrule casts doubt). Given the apparent scarcity of Milwards catalogues to give evidence either way, we may never know for sure :holmes:

As for ring spacings - the cane sections on your rod look dead right. The clear-ish lined butt ring isn't exactly like the one that came with my rod but could be original. From the photo it looks like the next ring up might be lined too? If so it would probably have been a plain ring instead. The glass top has one fewer ring than my cane top - but if it works then you could leave 'as-is' - or add another if you are fully restoring and feel so inclined.

As for red twist - if you cant source any then try using white/black and colouring it with a permanent red marker pen. I had to do a few of the whippings on mine like that, when my stock of red twist ran out just short of completing the rod :hairpull: If you need any advice on this, just ask.

Hope this all helps. I used my Matchmaster for the first time recently, it was a nice rod for small fish, nothing bigger came my way and I might be glad about that!
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Wagtail wrote:Harry H, looking at your photos again and comparing to my rod I've noticed that the two male ferrules on your rod do not match. I wonder if the top section is original at all? Perhaps sometime in the past the original broke and a suitable replacement that fitted was used.

Equally, whole cane/fibreglass combinations were produced by some manufacturers, so it may be an original top (though the ferrule casts doubt). Given the apparent scarcity of Milwards catalogues to give evidence either way, we may never know for sure :holmes:

As for ring spacings - the cane sections on your rod look dead right. The clear-ish lined butt ring isn't exactly like the one that came with my rod but could be original. From the photo it looks like the next ring up might be lined too? If so it would probably have been a plain ring instead. The glass top has one fewer ring than my cane top - but if it works then you could leave 'as-is' - or add another if you are fully restoring and feel so inclined.

As for red twist - if you cant source any then try using white/black and colouring it with a permanent red marker pen. I had to do a few of the whippings on mine like that, when my stock of red twist ran out just short of completing the rod :hairpull: If you need any advice on this, just ask.

Hope this all helps. I used my Matchmaster for the first time recently, it was a nice rod for small fish, nothing bigger came my way and I might be glad about that!
Thanks for your advice Wagtail
The clearish butt ring I feel is original the next one is lined lined but is a replacement and a bit on the big side.As for the tip section I found in the bundle of other oddments a split cane top the correct length which may be the original also has the jasper whipping just the ferrule has been leaded (see pics)so I will have ago a cleaning it off to see what happens. :Hat: Image Image
Anthony Shepherdson

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Harry, from the 1957-'57 Catalogue:

Not too sharp, sorry...it's a scan of a photocopy.

It doesn't show the twin taper tip compound taper, but if your tip is the original you can't miss it...though it might be part-concealed by the whipping of the ring nearest the ferrule...that's where it is on the Featherlites ...... it's a very swift change in taper over about 3 inches and makes the rod tip bend in one place rather alarmingly! :Hahaha:

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Nobby wrote:Harry, from the 1957-'57 Catalogue:

Not too sharp, sorry...it's a scan of a photocopy.

It doesn't show the twin taper tip compound taper, but if your tip is the original you can't miss it...though it might be part-concealed by the whipping of the ring nearest the ferrule...that's where it is on the Featherlites ...... it's a very swift change in taper over about 3 inches and makes the rod tip bend in one place rather alarmingly! :Hahaha:
Thanks for the info Nobby
Its amazing what you can see when your told what to look for :holmes: also managed to pick up a clear lined tip ring at the car boot today to match the butt. :Hat: Image
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”