Matchmaster back to its best

The Milwards Rods forum.
Wagtail
Arctic Char

Re: Matchmaster back to its best

Post by Wagtail »

PershoreHarrier wrote:
Harry H wrote:Big thank you to Wal for the restoration of my Milwards Matchmaster
It was bought in April along with a Hardy Mitre (my first restoration :Scared: )and a few tips.
It came with a glass tip fitted but after being pointed in the right direction by Nobby to the fact that it should have a double tapered splitcane tip it was to the other tips I got with the rods and sure enough it was there minus its ferrule.
So it was sent off at the beginning of December to Wal for his attentions and what a lovely rod I received back,just a pitty my pictures are not as good as his restoration!
The pictures don't show up the Jasper whippings very well but they set off the rod a treat :drool:

Thanks again Wal
:wave:
That looks absolutely fabulous Harry H. Does anyone know how it compares to a Swimversa by any chance. I have a late Swimversa - I believe the early ones had a whole cane insert in the middle joint whereas the late ones had a built cane insert in the middle joint. I must say I found my Swimversa a very impressive rod and have taken some decent tench, bream and roach with it. I would be very interested in hearing how you get on with the Matchmaster.
I restored a Matchmaster last year viewtopic.php?f=50&t=9905 It makes a nice float rod but I'm not sure how it would cope with a decent tench or bream.

Yours looks nicer than mine HarryH :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Wagtail wrote:
PershoreHarrier wrote:
Harry H wrote:Big thank you to Wal for the restoration of my Milwards Matchmaster
It was bought in April along with a Hardy Mitre (my first restoration :Scared: )and a few tips.
It came with a glass tip fitted but after being pointed in the right direction by Nobby to the fact that it should have a double tapered splitcane tip it was to the other tips I got with the rods and sure enough it was there minus its ferrule.
So it was sent off at the beginning of December to Wal for his attentions and what a lovely rod I received back,just a pitty my pictures are not as good as his restoration!
The pictures don't show up the Jasper whippings very well but they set off the rod a treat :drool:

Thanks again Wal
:wave:
That looks absolutely fabulous Harry H. Does anyone know how it compares to a Swimversa by any chance. I have a late Swimversa - I believe the early ones had a whole cane insert in the middle joint whereas the late ones had a built cane insert in the middle joint. I must say I found my Swimversa a very impressive rod and have taken some decent tench, bream and roach with it. I would be very interested in hearing how you get on with the Matchmaster.
I restored a Matchmaster last year viewtopic.php?f=50&t=9905 It makes a nice float rod but I'm not sure how it would cope with a decent tench or bream.

Yours looks nicer than mine HarryH :Hat:
I remember reading and admiring the transformation it was also where I gleaned the info for the whippings.
Do you have the Original bag?
And is it the same as mine as mine has no makers label? :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

I'd assumed mine was a replacement bag as it had no evidence of ever having had a label. But it appears your bag is exactly the same (but in better condition) so I think they must be originals
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Wagtail wrote:I'd assumed mine was a replacement bag as it had no evidence of ever having had a label. But it appears your bag is exactly the same (but in better condition) so I think they must be originals
One of my Milwards rods has an original bag but no label - the stopper is sewn into the bag and it has the poppers as opposed to cloth ties - the colour is also pretty much the same.

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”