versa, craft or master

The Milwards Rods forum.
Wagtail
Arctic Char

versa, craft or master

Post by Wagtail »

I've noticed that Milwards' rod names seem to end in either 'versa', 'craft' or 'master'

Do the different endings indicate anything; perhaps build style, or quality of fittings, or price range, or something else :Confused:

Can anybody enlighten me :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: versa, craft or master

Post by Tengisgol »

I'll have one of each please barman!

(I wished...)
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I really like Millwards rods as the cane is first class and they are lovely to fish with.I use a Floatmaster and a Floatrover.
Mark Davies

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

And I've got a Floatcraft and a Flycraft. I suspect that the "crafts" were the standard range, but both my rods are high quality so standard certainly didn't mean cheap.

I've just checked my 1953 catalogue: my 10ft 6in Floatcraft cost £5.00 and my 8ft 6in Flycraft cost £12.00. Both rods were the cheapest in their respective ranges, but not by much.

For comparison a Wizard cost £6 7/6 in 1953
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

SeanM wrote:And I've got a Floatcraft and a Flycraft. I suspect that the "crafts" were the standard range, but both my rods are high quality so standard certainly didn't mean cheap.

I've just checked my 1953 catalogue: my 10ft 6in Floatcraft cost £5.00 and my 8ft 6in Flycraft cost £12.00. Both rods were the cheapest in their respective ranges, but not by much.

Does your catalogue have any details on the Spinversa?
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

There are details of the Spinversa in the link below (scroll down), which also describes why the 'versa' rods were so named :-

http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/Vintage ... lwards.asp
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

The 'craft' range were the standard, 'master' were better or best and 'versa' denotes they they had a reverse taper in the butt section, some of the masters and versas also had double taper tip sections. Rovers were as far as I know all built cane rods. Love them all though, espevialy the versa, I have two originals, a Swimversa and a Spinversa, and I have built replicas of the Craftversa. A Flyvers slipped through my fingers but I also have a flyrover in the pile to restore :Thumb:

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Harry H wrote:
SeanM wrote:And I've got a Floatcraft and a Flycraft. I suspect that the "crafts" were the standard range, but both my rods are high quality so standard certainly didn't mean cheap.

Does your catalogue have any details on the Spinversa?
No. They weren't listed in the 1953 catalogue.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Many thanks for the information Gents, it runs in line with what I suspected but had no evidence to confirm :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”