The Flyrover

The Milwards Rods forum.
Penninelad
Arctic Char

The Flyrover

Post by Penninelad »

I have a soft spot for Milwards cane rod as the cane is top quality and the construction and finish first class. I have always wanted a Flyrover which must have been one of Milwards top of the range fly rods. I was able to acquire one on Ebay and it arrived yesterday. The rod was as described and was in fine(perhaps unused) condition and came with two top sections and detachable "fighting butt" and the original ferrule stoppers all in an original Milwards rod bag. BendSomeCane and myself were intending to fish for roach on the Idle today but the heavy rain made that impossible so I thought I would give the Flyrover a work out on Ladybower Reservoir for a couple of hours.The rod fished well and handled some really hard fighting rainbows. The four fish included two overwintered fish and two "stockies",the largest 4lbs and the others around 3 1/2 lbs.
Mark Davies

Scott
Tench

Re: The Flyrover

Post by Scott »

Lovely rod and a cracking haul of 'bows'. Can you tell us more about the rod? Length, line weight etc.? I too am hankering after a Milwards fly rod, a Flycraft to be precise, heard such good things about them and are usually reasonably priced. Thanks for showing us....

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

10'3" both the tip sections are the same length.With the fighting butt fitted its 10'10".They did not indicate line weights on split cane rods in the "old days" but this is a very steely rod with most of the action in the top 6' so I am sure it would handle line weights 7-8 and perhaps 9.For the first time all my reservoir trout fishing this season has been with split cane rods and I can feel it in my wrist and shoulder and I can feel my muscles building up! It just makes you realise how light carbon rods are,although I do use fibreglass fly rods my favourite being a Bruce & Walker " The Loch".In was hoping to get enough interest to have a TFF day on Ladybower.Set in the spectacular countryside in The Peak District there is plenty of variety in its nearly 800 acres.The fish this season are really fighting well and stripping off line "like nobody's business".

If anyone has an old Milwards catalogue I would be interested to know what the cost of a Flyrover was when new?
Mark Davies

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Hi Mark,
I have a 1964 catalogue
The Flyrover entry says they were designed for Salmon fishing in Eastern Canada, they were introduced to the home market for Salmon fishing small rivers with a greased line, or for big sea trout. The said rod landed a 32lb Salmon in 1950 in Canada
Cost was £16 with 2 tops + £1 10s for the extension

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

That's made me laugh!As I said it is "steely" so I am not surprised that it would handle a salmon.For time being it will have to make do with rainbow trout and perhaps I may use it if I am able to get up to Lewis in the Outer Hebrides salmon and sea trout fishing this summer.Many thanks for the information.I will carry on with the body building!As an afterthought it may come in useful fly fishing for pike?
Mark Davies

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”