Help required

The Milwards Rods forum.
Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Help required

Post by Harry H »

Picked this one up today
It has two butts sections allowing you to fish with a 10ft or 12ft float rod or if the tip is short it could be 11ft/13ft ish. It's whole cane with a built cane spliced into the tip, the butt and tip rings look original and the cane looks like it's painted/varnished black with that cracking finish the way old varnish goes (can't think it left the factory like that)
Here's hoping someone can shed some light on it. :Hat:

There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Help required

Post by AshbyCut »

Ask Nobby to check his catalogues ! :holmes:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Looks like the metalwork on the butt is inscribed with Milwards. If so, could be good quality and looks pretty early
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

I would assume by looking at it that it is a very early circa ww1 combination rod. The tip seems to have a spliced in split cane section, I wonder if that is original or a later modification? Looks very nice, I like it :Thumb:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Harry, it is a combination rod and possibly has a 12inch longer tip section missing. My only Millwards book is from 1939 and the combination rod then had greenheart splices in the tips so yours is probably a later version.
There is probably some very nice cane under that paint. I stripped one a couple of years back and it was wonderful glowing cane underneath. I think the black paint was just a fashion thing used by a few makers at the time, not everyone's cup of tea but they do look nice with gold whippings.. :Thumb:

Just by coincidence, I have recently started on a similar rod from J Peek and son. Not sure how old it is but it has wrapped cork handles so probably a bit earlier. It makes up into 13ft-9in, 12ft-9in, 11ft-6in or a 10ft-6in. some pics below. I may do a post on it when its finished as it is has the makings of a nice rod and a little bit out of the ordinary.

Wal.

Last edited by Wallys-Cast on Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Thanks for the feedback chaps :Hat:
Haven't been able to resist a little bit of investigating.
Wal yours looks very similar indeed, it would appear I have a piece missing.
Took a bit of the paint/varnish off and the cane looks like the colour where you have removed the whippings. There is something about that splitcane tip that doesn't look right but I'm sure once the paint comes of I should be able to see a bit more, looks like the original colour for the whippings was a bright red. Any suggestions for removing the paint, paint stripper or scrape?
Might get to do a bit more Saturday looking at the weather but the sea is calling so heading of to Walton on the Naze pier tomorrow for a spot of sea fishing. :fishing1:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Currently trying to mend a couple of splits in the cane when I noticed a name on the butt its called
The Broxbourne.
Anyone have any information on it? :Hat:
Anthony Shepherdson

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Harry H wrote:Anyone have any information on it? :Hat:
Not much ... but I did find that one was listed at a Moore Allen auction in 2011. They listed it as "A Milwards Broxbourne."

http://mooreallen.bidmaster.co.uk/bidca ... LotRef=358
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The creased reel band and all brass furniture, together with the thick tapered ferrule tenons and dyed cane all make me think of pre-War, but I've never seen a pre-War Milwards catalogue...I bet they existed though. I guess a recent restoration would explain the high Bells Life rings.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

AshbyCut wrote:
Harry H wrote:Anyone have any information on it? :Hat:
Not much ... but I did find that one was listed at a Moore Allen auction in 2011. They listed it as "A Milwards Broxbourne."

http://mooreallen.bidmaster.co.uk/bidca ... LotRef=358
Thanks for the link
It does say it is a four piece so I now know there's not a piece missing. :Hat:
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”