Flymaster 9' Three Piece

The Milwards Rods forum.
Penninelad
Arctic Char

Flymaster 9' Three Piece

Post by Penninelad »

I have just acquired one of these for £15 via a well known internet selling site being the only bidder.As usual with Milwards rods lovely cane.It needs to two rings replacing so I will shortly be off to Dawson's of Holm Lane,Sheffield to get some replacements,as they have a very good stock of vintage rod rings.Its straight and the ferrules are a perfect fit.Can any of you with old Milwards catalogues given me any information about this rod? The tip section is the finest I have ever seen on any cane fly rod so I am guessing the line weights for using with this rod will be perhaps 3/5.If anyone wants to have at look at it I will bring it to Ladybower tomorrow.Any suggestions as to a source of very fine Jasper thread? I may have to make up my own from fine yellow and black silk.If so,has anyone got any tips as to the best way of doing this?
Mark Davies

Harry H
Tench

Re: Flymaster 9' Three Piece

Post by Harry H »

You'll probably find that it was black/white originally just the varnish has yellowed over the years. I might have some black/yellow A grade that might match,I'll check when I get in from work. :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Sounds great! I wish I'd have seen it for sale... Looking forward to seeing some photos... Have a great day at Ladybower chaps... :Hat:

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Yes I am sure the whipping has changed colour with age. I may have to re whip the whole rod if I can get replacement rings. I have just been poking about contemplating a solder repair and the whole ring collapsed. But better news, Dave Dawson of Dawsons Holme Lane has just rung to say he has found some old stock bronze rings so I will go down and have a look. If you want a traditional fishing tackle shop providing good old fashioned service Dawsons is well worth a visit.
Mark Davies

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Dave Dawson has supplied me with low bell bronze rings free of charge.Dave went and had a look "round the back" and took them from an old split cane tip he found.I would love have a poke around in his back room.Dawsons at one time had a number of tackle shops in and around Sheffield and everything from the others shops was brought to the Holme Lane shops when they closed.Let me know if you have any specific requirements as he usually finds what i need for my rod refurbishing.
Mark Davies

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I have acquired some Elephant brand black & white "jasper" and some true jasper from Olivers Rods. No website but the proprietors email is oliversrods@tiscali.co.uk. Do the experts think that Milwards used black and white thread that became yellow with age or true black and yellow jasper?Any guidance would be appreciated.
Mark Davies

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Penninelad wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:36 pm I have acquired some Elephant brand black & white "jasper" and some true jasper from Olivers Rods. No website but the proprietors email is oliversrods@tiscali.co.uk. Do the experts think that Milwards used black and white thread that became yellow with age or true black and yellow jasper?Any guidance would be appreciated.
I'm no expert but I'm sure your correct it would have been black/white Jasper.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

From my 1953 catalogue:

"Not quite as stiff as the Flycraft with the action coming a little lower down more after the English style. A rod which never tires the wrist and ideal for all round trout fishing."

The catalogue gives a weight of 6 1/4 oz for the 3 piece 9 footer and recommends a "HEH" line which I believe is roughly equivalent to a 5 weight. I've got a Flycraft and I use a silk DT 5 line on rivers. For longer casts a 4 weight might be better.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

By the way, if you're going to completely re-ring the rod you might be better using lightweight snake rings. These can transform the action without looking too out of place. I got my black and white jasper from Dave Pearce.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Thank for the advice.I will proceed to re whip with the black and white thread.
Mark Davies

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”