Milwards Matchcraft

The Milwards Rods forum.
Snape
Bailiff

Milwards Matchcraft

Post by Snape »

Does anyone know anything about this rod?
Thanks
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Milwards Matchcraft

Post by AshbyCut »

One sold on ebay in May for £58 ... no pics but a description :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... true&rt=nc
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

Just been relisted?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

No mention in my '56 or '62 catalogues..is it a part whole cane rod, perhaps.

Milwards didn't really do budget, so if it's sound it will be a good rod.

Weyfarer

Post by Weyfarer »

I won a Matchcraft on ebay about a month ago - £31.
Quite good nick but lots of thick gooey varnish which was still tacky. I'm currently doing a slow refurb. I think it will turn out to be an attractive & useable rod.

Today I collected (local ebay sale) a wooden hooped landing net with brass fittings for nine quid. No other bidders, I guess because it was listed as a keep net - some you win!

I have a permanent ebay search on 10 mile radius sales which sometimes turns up a worthwhile purchase and of course there's no pricey P&P. I recently won an unused Draper sack barrow for 99p - excellent jobbie for moving fridges and 70L compost bags etc

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Weyfarer wrote:I won a Matchcraft on ebay about a month ago - £31.
What sort of rod is Weyfarer? What fishing is it suitable for (match fishing I guess! :sarcasm: ). But what size fish is it suited to?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Weyfarer

Post by Weyfarer »

12 feet whole cane butt and three quarters of the mid joint where there's a splice into a more slender piece of whole cane. The tip is entirely split cane. The whole cane is slim and on my rod it is unblemished and dead straight. The mid section has a slight set but I've managed to largely remove it. I think when it's re-rung I cae arrange it to give me a dead straight rod.

As you might imagine, the rod is tip actioned but application of pressure (viz tied to one of my apple trees) I got a nice fluid arc into the top half of middle section. I would see this rod, as you suggest, being most happy with roach, dace and chub to three pounds, maybe smaller tench, crucians and bream. I'd use 3lb bs maximuim reel line with 2lb bs hook length. Maybe, just maybe if it proves to have a bit of backbone I'll be daring and try it on some five pound carp.

Cane needs to be punished now and then and as the rod cost less than a tank of petrol what the heck!

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Weyfarer wrote:12 feet whole cane butt and three quarters of the mid joint where there's a splice into a more slender piece of whole cane. The tip is entirely split cane. The whole cane is slim and on my rod it is unblemished and dead straight. The mid section has a slight set but I've managed to largely remove it. I think when it's re-rung I cae arrange it to give me a dead straight rod.

As you might imagine, the rod is tip actioned but application of pressure (viz tied to one of my apple trees) I got a nice fluid arc into the top half of middle section. I would see this rod, as you suggest, being most happy with roach, dace and chub to three pounds, maybe smaller tench, crucians and bream. I'd use 3lb bs maximuim reel line with 2lb bs hook length. Maybe, just maybe if it proves to have a bit of backbone I'll be daring and try it on some five pound carp.

Cane needs to be punished now and then and as the rod cost less than a tank of petrol what the heck!
Thanks Weyfarer. Sounds like what I'm looking for. I'm shortly going after gudgeon!

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Sounds very similar to my Woodfields Avon, which you are more than welcome to have a waggle of Mr Snape
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Gudgeon hunting?

My favourite!

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”