Restoration.

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Restoration.

Post by Dave Burr »

Skeff wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:36 pm
Dave Burr wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:22 am Skeff, you must now have an immense amount of insider knowledge of Redmire and there must be a stack of people who'd love to interrogate you. Do you have kidnap insurance? Just a thought.
I was counting on you to provide protection and act as Bouncer Dave....!! :surrender:
Don't do the personal stuff any more Skeff but I'll happily protect Ashmead for a year or two until the dust settles :whistle:

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

This is of course marvellous news and those involved in the work are to be applauded, especially Skeff... but..(and you all knew there was a "but" :Chuckle: ) from a "outsiders" point of view I have to ask what did/does Mr Bamford actually do in the day to day running of the place? Given its only 3 acres plus a little woodland I'm surprised its been allowed to get in such a state.
Just my thoughts and I may well be missing something :Hat:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Paul D wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:01 pm This is of course marvellous news and those involved in the work are to be applauded, especially Skeff... but..(and you all knew there was a "but" :Chuckle: ) from a "outsiders" point of view I have to ask what did/does Mr Bamford actually do in the day to day running of the place? Given its only 3 acres plus a little woodland I'm surprised its been allowed to get in such a state.
Just my thoughts and I may well be missing something :Hat:
:cheers:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Finished.

The 14 ton excavator and 8 ton dumpers have gone, the syphons and pumps have stopped working and Redmire is now re-filling from the springs. Peace reigns once more at Bernithan.

I am delighted with the result. The shallows now extend back to their original size, the margins of the pool are 2 to 4 feet deeper (as they were in Walker's day), the two islands in the shallows are no longer part of the bank, fish can once again access three feet of water behind Bramble Island and the climbing tree and the deep central channel is once again to be found running towards the shallows from the dam.

Only four points of access to the pool were necessary and so the banks are left untrammelled around most of the pool and, once full, it will look almost the same as when we started the work. The main difference the eye of a Redmire angler would spot is the extension of the shallows, which makes the pool look far larger than it has in recent years. The other differences will be found when the angler casts and their lead sinks through ten feet of water instead of six.

Areas of silt and weed were left untouched deliberately and I'm confident that next spring Redmire will be clear, rich in weed and have the depth profile of the 1950's.

We've had 14 ton excavators stuck, tracks thrown on the huge dumpers, troublesome springs, pumps and syphons and more mud and mess than you would ever believe. But for every challenge we have found a "farmers fix" and we have completed on schedule.

Home today after four weeks, tired but very happy.

Image Image

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

Brilliant. Maybe one day I will be lucky enough to visit. Long Live Redmire

The Bishop
Perch

Post by The Bishop »

Excellent, well done saved for future generations
Tight Lines

The Bishop

The Gods do not take from a life,the time one spends in fishing.

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

A fantastic job Skeff; sincere thanks and appreciation from those of us who believed for decades and still do. Whether or not it will ever be fished again remains to be seen but your efforts, skill and commitment (together I imagine with others) is a spark of light in what can sometimes be a rather dark area. Well done to all. I suspect I shall not fish it again but will rest assured that a new lease of life has been given to a life long and constant "companion". I can think of a few others where a sympathetic approach is required.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Well done to all involved Skeff. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Well done, Skeff. :Hat:
How long do you think it'll take to refill?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Yes good work all :Hat: I know very little about Redmire apart from legend and what I've read and seen on PFA etc. Any water created by forming a dam has a limited lifespan before intervention is required. What plans do you have during the refill period? When would you be looking to restock? One thing I have experienced is the reliance fish can have on anglers baits until such time as the natural larder has chance to recolonise/recover.

Return to “Redmire Pool”