A POSSIBLE DILEMMA

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
CWK
Perch

Re: A POSSIBLE DILEMMA

Post by CWK »

I don't understand the mindset of " I'd rather not hook and lose a fish than hook one in the first place " .. To me angling is the science of adopting the correct tactics and bait to give one a reasonable chance of landing ones quarry . This includes watercraft , tackle , stealth , and above all enjoyment .
There are no guarantees of course but if it were predictable it wouldn't be nearly as much fun ..

Tweed

Post by Tweed »

Jeremy Croxall wrote:Is Redmire really that good? Or is it that we imagine it's so good? I have never fished Redmire and, yes I'd like to understand what all the fuss is about but can't help feeling I may be disappointed if I did actually visit it's hallowed banks. So much has been written about it, and I have to say it looked lovely in APFA and I know record carp have been caught there but is it actually "the" bucket list venue? Is there another venue to compare with it I wonder, there must be, surely? Some of you guys out there must think my comments irreverent and made in ignorance and maybe that is the case but I would be interested to know what other forum members think, particularly those that have fished there and are able to make comparrisons with other quality venues.
I suppose you'd need to fish it to find out.

Like most places I suppose, it changes over the decades, from being a semi-secret shared by Walker and Co, onwards to various other syndicates, clubs, owners.

I would imagine that at times the fishing pressure was intense, but having said that, it puzzles me that there are supposedly uncaught, unseen monsters despite the pressure, a bit like Loch Ness?

Of course having read Skues and Halford as a youngster living a Kes like existence imagine my delight at finding Abbots Barton available to me, for the price of my membership. I found it bleak, close to footpaths, views to the M3 and Winnal Trading Estate, with fairly tricky fishing for fairly ordinary fish. Worth the visit - yes, uplifting - not much.

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

Jeremy Croxall wrote:Is Redmire really that good? Or is it that we imagine it's so good? I have never fished Redmire and, yes I'd like to understand what all the fuss is about but can't help feeling I may be disappointed if I did actually visit it's hallowed banks. So much has been written about it, and I have to say it looked lovely in APFA and I know record carp have been caught there but is it actually "the" bucket list venue? Is there another venue to compare with it I wonder, there must be, surely? Some of you guys out there must think my comments irreverent and made in ignorance and maybe that is the case but I would be interested to know what other forum members think, particularly those that have fished there and are able to make comparrisons with other quality venues.

Jeremy, it really is that good..There will be people that try to bring the place down, of course, it's in some people's natures.
Redmire is a special place, it can be heady and magical, but it can also be cruel, occassionaly.
I've encountered pretty much all that the pool has to offer a brother of the angle and also fished many of the great carp waters of our time. I can honestly say that there's no place I'd rather cast a line than Redmire Pool.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I'm going to have to try it aren't I, then I'll no for sure.....Love your photo, the image is just begging for a cane rod in the foreground!!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

If you get thru Jeremy, I'll just have to fish it again ! Ha ! I agree with Gurn. It's part of the DNA. Fantastic !

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

Jeremy Croxall wrote:I'm going to have to try it aren't I, then I'll no for sure.....Love your photo, the image is just begging for a cane rod in the foreground!!

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

That's better!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Return to “Redmire Pool”