Sad news at Redmire.

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Snape
Bailiff

Sad news at Redmire.

Post by Snape »

It is a great shame that Rob Fox, the long standing bailiff of the pool, has decided to resign from his position as he cannot bear to see it continue to decline.
The pool currently has a maximum depth of 6.5 ft (in the centre channel) and is dark brown in colour and ghost carp still swim in its waters.
It is unfortunate that the perception is that everything is fine and the view that because more fish than ever are getting caught all is well but the problem is with a lack of weed and the level of silting up it has recently experienced there is now a lack of natural food (one of the factors which made it special originally) and so the fish have to rely on anglers' baits and so get caught far more frequently.
Hopefully by resigning his role a clear message will be sent to those involved in running the pool and create a desire to do something drastic to save this unique and historic pool.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Sad news at Redmire.

Post by Olly »

A few tonnes of Siltex could resolve some issues?

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

Very sad, sounds like it needs netting & a complete overhaul, possibly could benefit from a break from fishing for 12 months while the work is carried out to give the fish and the water itself time to recover.
It certainly sounds like they are heading for trouble, but as usual it will be money that talks!
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

The lack of decisive action does trouble me..I'm not sure that Siltex would resolve it Olly as primarily the problem is run-off from the surrounding agriculture.
What is needed is a complete drain-down, a drag line and bucket brought in to remove mud/silt from the lake bed, removal of all fish under 10lb, creation of 'silt' traps at the inflow end and an otter proof fence erected. The dam could be re-rendered at the same time.
Now, this is a huge undertaking. However, I am sure that should there be a call to rally a voluntary force to help out, then there would be plenty that step-up.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Sounds like an ownership problem as clearly there has been neglect to the point that Rob Fox has resigned.
I'm surprised the EA or AT have not stepped in with directives...or maybe they have and as a private water they have been ignored.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Just as a matter of interest (this is a serious question to do with the lack of weed), what do they grow in the adjoining fields, is it potatoes?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Tengisgol wrote:Just as a matter of interest (this is a serious question to do with the lack of weed), what do they grow in the adjoining fields, is it potatoes?
I'm not sure what the crop is but the topsoil run off has been very bad for some time hence the brown colour and complete lack of weed. :(
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Snape wrote:
Tengisgol wrote:Just as a matter of interest (this is a serious question to do with the lack of weed), what do they grow in the adjoining fields, is it potatoes?
I'm not sure what the crop is but the topsoil run off has been very bad for some time hence the brown colour and complete lack of weed. :(
This is a really big problem as I am sure you know; agricultural run-off - the silt from poorly managed fields - is a killer for our rivers (and lakes).

We have noticed on the Wye (of course Redmire is in the Wye valley, for those that don't know) a considerable impact in areas where potatoes are grown in that the weed is just disappearing from the river. In one stretch it is stark. Upstream the weed grows and flowers bank to bank for hundreds of feet. Just downstream, same depth and flow, no weed. Potatoe fields adjoin and run off the downstream stretch. I think they're are sprayed with Maleic hydrazide which is also used to control weed growth in rivers!

If you search 'potatoe field run off' or 'maize field run off' you will find lots of information. Here is one example:

http://www.potato.org.uk/sites/default/ ... 202013.pdf

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Awful news. I am saddened to hear this. I hope those in charge there can take appropriate steps to rectify these issues and that the pool might be restored to its former glory.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Tengisgol wrote:
Snape wrote:
This is a really big problem as I am sure you know; agricultural run-off - the silt from poorly managed fields - is a killer for our rivers (and lakes).

We have noticed on the Wye (of course Redmire is in the Wye valley, for those that don't know) a considerable impact in areas where potatoes are grown in that the weed is just disappearing from the river. In one stretch it is stark. Upstream the weed grows and flowers bank to bank for hundreds of feet. Just downstream, same depth and flow, no weed. Potatoe fields adjoin and run off the downstream stretch. I think they're are sprayed with Maleic hydrazide which is also used to control weed growth in rivers!

If you search 'potatoe field run off' or 'maize field run off' you will find lots of information. Here is one example:

http://www.potato.org.uk/sites/default/ ... 202013.pdf
I should add, I am absolutely no expert on this, it's just a bit of a layman's hunch.

Return to “Redmire Pool”