Sad news at Redmire.

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: Sad news at Redmire.

Post by Snape »

Mark wrote:How did the ghost carp get in there in the first place?
They were brought to Bernithan by Les when he moved there and put in the ornamental pond. A while later someone said they had seen a ghostie in the pool and Les checked the ornamental pond to find it had drain out. It transpired that someone had seen the pond was leaking and moved the fish to Redmire to save them....
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Snape wrote:
They were brought to Bernithan by Les when he moved there and put in the ornamental pond. A while later someone said they had seen a ghostie in the pool and Les checked the ornamental pond to find it had drain out. It transpired that someone had seen the pond was leaking and moved the fish to Redmire to save them....
Blimey. :shocked:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Mark wrote:
Snape wrote:
Blimey. :shocked:
Was not the EXACT words used when les found out.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Snape wrote:

The ' someone ' who moved the fish was obviously not just a passer- by.
Hardly the sort of place where anyone just wanders around :Chuckle:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Numerous people use the house and grounds most of whom are non- anglers and simply wouldn't realise the severity of such actions. It would have only been done with the intention of 'saving the poor fish'.

I feel I need to add that all this management has been set in place for some considerable time. Rob leaving and the discussions on numerous forums has had absolutely no bearing whatsoever on forcing the owners hand in carrying out management except to make the statement regarding management that is to take place. They are not naive and realise fully what is required (much of which has been done numerous times before I.e de-silting, work on the dam, removal of fish) and it has all been in place for quite some time.
They are not in the habit of discussing their Buisness in public. It is, after all, their business. Call it old fashioned maybe, but that is how I was brought up as well- you don't wash your knickers in public.
Some responses (on other forums ) have been typical 'armchair expert' opinions which are uneducated, sensationalist and plain slanderous. It frustrates the hell out of me because i actually see what goes on behind the scenes on a weekly and often daily basis throughout the year and help in a small way.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

And that's all I'm saying on the matter!!!

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I have been fortunate enough to have fished Redmire twice thanks to Stu and will never forget both my trips there, I was besotted by the place and still am. In a round about way this forum would not exist if it was not for Redmire Pool.

Anyway on a more happier note chaps did you know on this day 63 years ago Bob Richards caught his record carp of 31lb 4oz from Redmire. I would normally say a toast is due tonight but as it's Friday I shall get pissed.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Mark wrote:I have been fortunate enough to have fished Redmire twice thanks to Stu and will never forget both my trips there, I was besotted by the place and still am. In a round about way this forum would not exist if it was not for Redmire Pool.

Anyway on a more happier note chaps did you know on this day 63 years ago Bob Richards caught his record carp of 31lb 4oz from Redmire. I would normally say a toast is due tonight but as it's Friday I shall get pissed.
Just did Mark (toast that is, not get pissed!!).
That fish (for me) is the most important fish that pool ever produced.

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

Good news and lets hope the planned actions are effective and the worlds most famous historic carp pool is preserved for evermore.
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

AndyD
Minnow

Post by AndyD »

I wouldn't worry about the mystery being preserved. I was involved in netting a small pool with our club. Although 3 different 20lbers had been caught from it, they all escaped the netting. However we did net quite a few crucians which nobody ever remembers catching. Funny things nettings.

Return to “Redmire Pool”