Sad news at Redmire.

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Sad news at Redmire.

Post by Dave Burr »

Should this be moved to the Ghostie story section?

Eradicating any species by merely netting will be difficult unless the water is all but emptied. You only need a few fry from this year's spawn to escape and the effort has been ruined. If the big one's can avoid nets then its a fair bet some tiddlers will slip through unless the place is lowered and electro fished. Can't see that going down too well in some quarters.

I initially doubted the owners would be prepared to stump up the cash for the entire project as it is massive. If I was wrong by stating that then I apologise and am gladdened that they are intent on restoring Redmire to its former glory.

Blunderer
Bleak

Post by Blunderer »

Wouldnt the ghost carp genes ultimately vanish as the fish reproduced and mother nature's common carp genes take over? Or is the concern if/when two ghost carp spawn successfully together?

You'd also think that if the pool is producing more fish, those ghosties would be caught and removed fairly sharpish.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Blunderer wrote:Wouldnt the ghost carp genes ultimately vanish as the fish reproduced and mother nature's common carp genes take over? Or is the concern if/when two ghost carp spawn successfully together?

You'd also think that if the pool is producing more fish, those ghosties would be caught and removed fairly sharpish.
no, in short- they may be watered down but I think it is a very strong gene.
There are pure strain fish bred from Redmire fish taken out pre ghosts that are hidden away in areas - a security precaution in case something disastrous happened and the pools stock was killed. Eggs and baskets I believe it's called.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

AndyD wrote:I wouldn't worry about the mystery being preserved. I was involved in netting a small pool with our club. Although 3 different 20lbers had been caught from it, they all escaped the netting. However we did net quite a few crucians which nobody ever remembers catching. Funny things nettings.
Not quite so odd as it may seem. :holmes:
When you ( you being anyone or a a whole group or club ) fish a water you catch some of the fish and you may see other fish that are never caught, but its unlikely that what you all catch and see amounts to all of the fish in there.

When you net a water you net a lot of the fish ( but never all) and you are quite likely to have in the net some of those fish that were never caught or seen.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

WindJammer

Post by WindJammer »

Maybe the chub will turn up?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I think Redmire would benefit from a perch population to keep the amount of youngsters down. Discuss.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Dave Burr wrote:I think Redmire would benefit from a perch population to keep the amount of youngsters down. Discuss.

Wouldn't the eels go a fair way toward doing that Dave?

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

This is difficult - perhaps the farmer can be persuaded to grow spuds a bit further off? Crop rotation is good for the land, in any case. Just a thought. As for the ghosties? We aren't talking many, are we? - and there's no guarantee they have spawned, is there? Perhaps a few anglers should be allowed to fish this close season, perhaps with surface baits, to actively target the one or two ghosties that apparently swim there..?

Capebreton
Perch

Post by Capebreton »

here in Canada spud farmers on PEI cause fish kills every year through run off despite regulations.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

So it would seem Mr Fox took his story to the press.... ???
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “Redmire Pool”