Redmire Pool

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
ErrabundusPiscator

Redmire Pool

Post by ErrabundusPiscator »

Well its been a while since I last posted on here, in fact I had to be accepted again as it had been so long!

Work, home, family and time in general has taken over far too much but more recently I have managed to get out a little more - even managed to join the recent "TART" Royalty trip and meet a few folks - a great day it was too, thank you.

Anyhow, I know Redmire is not a new topic and I am sure none of you will get bored talking about it once more but..... I am after any advice for my first trip there in early October, my thinking is just enjoy and relax a little but I would like to better my chances if possible.

Cheers
EB

Paul D

Re: Redmire Pool

Post by Paul D »

Personally ( and I am wearing a large tin hat ) but save your money, it's overrated and over fished, the place is worn out sadly, all due to money of course. :tea:

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Please don't be put off by the comment above EB, I'm sure you will love your time there, I know I did when I first went.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I've never fished there but am sure you'll have a great time. I'll leave it to wiser anglers to suggest tactics.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

An article in the latest Fallons Angler states that the Ashmead team are going to undertake a project at Redmire to protect and preserve the water. Should be interesting and the results are to be published in F.A. in an ongoing series of articles. This can only be good news.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Ade76
Bleak

Post by Ade76 »

I fished there in January and even though it was cold,damp and horrible I'm still going back next month for another go at it.
Don't ask me for any tips though because I blanked lol
Just sit back relax and enjoy your surroundings.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Mark wrote:Please don't be put off by the comment above EB, I'm sure you will love your time there, I know I did when I first went.
I honestly wasn't trying to put anyone off Mark, sorry if I have offended anyone but you must admit it's glory days are long gone, yes the place has a certain mystical quality, yes it was the home to some mythical fish and yes I have visited. It's now a expensive commercial, each to there own of course but I doubt you'll bump into the likes of Mr Yates there any time soon. :Hat:

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Beresford wrote:
Paul D wrote:It's now a expensive commercial
Really?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Sorry Paul but having fished there for the last two seasons I don't share your view, for me it still has the magic, its still quite overgrown in places and with a limit of 4 anglers at any one time you can still have a wander and stalk a fish or two.

EB you will have a great time, pm me and I can give you a few tips.
Best Fishes
Mushy

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

"The Ashmead team" Old Buffer? That means me! Not much of a team I'm afraid...

I fall between the Mushy and Paul D camps regarding Redmire.

The estate and the pool still have the magic they always had but it is hidden these days by the angling pressure the pool has endured for so many years and by the impacts of the unsympathetic land management (I would say environmental vandalism if I wasn't so diplomatic!) on the water, from farmland outside the control of the owners.

The project I am managing will:
Protect the pool (and at the same time the Wye and Garron downstream) from the damage the intensive arable and potato cropping is causing;
De-silt the pool and resort the 1950 contours;
Allow the water itself to be restored to a high quality ecosystem capable of growing large carp, as it used to do;
Ensure the original Galician bloodline is restored and protected for the future;
Protect the stock from otter predation.

Last (but by no means least) it will restore the look and feel of the pool and the banks. My vision is that if Walker or BB strolled onto the dam today, they would see and recognise the pool they knew and fished. That means that angling pressure and other sources of income need to be considered and explored as part of the project, as angling pressure needs to be reduced to allow that restoration to take place. There are no plans to change the way in which the pool is managed at this point but the intensity of angling pressure needs to be reduced.

I've fished Redmire itself and recognise the jaded view of Paul D, as I felt much the same way about my time there; Redmire was a pallid shadow of former glories. At the same time though, the underlying magic does remain and it can be revealed again with a little thought and tender loving care. The owners are behind the plans and that commitment is the key to Redmire's future. The pool should be a beacon of good fishery management and conservation and a place of heritage and reflection. It may never again produce a record carp but that in no way diminishes its importance as a place where angling history was made and its potential to inspire future generations of anglers and fishery managers.

Incidentally, Chris Yates is a lifelong friend of mine and he is completely behind the project.

In terms of fishing tips, leave the swims unfished as much as you can and let the fish settle before angling. They have seen enough lines, leads and bait to last a lifetime.... I watched for the first three days, baited a swim lightly but didn't cast and then landed a lovely 24 pound common at the end of the week.

Best.
Skeff

Return to “Redmire Pool”