The New Owner of Redmire?

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: The New Owner of Redmire?

Post by Dave Burr »

Richard Walker experimented with rig design and arguably invented the first self-hooking/bolt rig when he fished with a lead stopped less than an inch from the hook. He caught his 31 pounder on it.

Despite the 'Essex' laddishness and, for me, the disagreeable personalities of the Korda crew, I have found the development of underwater filming very interesting. I love fish and am totally absorbed whilst watching them. Seeing them in their natural habitat is just an extension to my passion much like watching the footage from inside a bird nesting box. Were Dick Walker still with us, I feel he would also find it interesting.

As I type this, there is, on the TV, a program about wildlife and the use of hidden spy cameras to obtain new and previously unseen footage of various animals. It's just technology and it's progress - or, for some on here, 'progress'.

For me, it's just fishing. Using a self hooking rig for carp is vastly superior to doing the same, in a 'traditional ' way, for pike.

Personal choice and all that. :Happy:

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

I like watching films of fish in their natural environment. I found the underwater footage in Catching The Impossible completely mesmerising.That said, I’m not at all keen on the idea of using a camera to assist the fishing itself, as illustrated in the Korda video. As RB Traditional says, surely a big aspect of fishing is the ‘not-knowing’, or as one author put it so eloquently, ‘the glorious uncertainty’.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

on a different note there is a plan to build a fish observery on the river seven at digs weir its place i fish regularly not the weir but not far away so i will defiantly go and see if i can spot some fish once its been built

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I learned much of what little I know from watching fish, tackle and bait in small, clear rivers.
My childhood and teens offered few such opportunities, my local river was the tidal Thames. Many of the clear-water lessons were directly transferable to the big muddy river, but learning on the Thames was just guesswork, persistence and hope, with very little progress possible without shared knowledge, and no idea, when nothing was happening, of why not; and very little learned that couldn't be discovered in a tenth of the time on a smaller, clear and more feature-filled water.
Once you've learned a good method on a small river, you still have to adjust it to a big one, but at least you know - or have an idea - why you're doing what you're doing, and can proceed with some degree of confidence, even though you're back to fishing "blind".
Glorious uncertainty is one thing; struggling on following guesses with no clue as to why so few work is a fine advert for golf.
I'd not deny those who have no access to "visible waters" the chance to learn, albeit at second hand, the lessons of the underwater cameras simply because they weren't around in my day; learning is a far more positive thing than forlornly tweaking the wrong method in unguided hope of getting something right.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Vole wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:21 am I learned much of what little I know from watching fish, tackle and bait in small, clear rivers.
My childhood and teens offered few such opportunities, my local river was the tidal Thames. Many of the clear-water lessons were directly transferable to the big muddy river, but learning on the Thames was just guesswork, persistence and hope, with very little progress possible without shared knowledge, and no idea, when nothing was happening, of why not; and very little learned that couldn't be discovered in a tenth of the time on a smaller, clear and more feature-filled water.
Once you've learned a good method on a small river, you still have to adjust it to a big one, but at least you know - or have an idea - why you're doing what you're doing, and can proceed with some degree of confidence, even though you're back to fishing "blind".
Glorious uncertainty is one thing; struggling on following guesses with no clue as to why so few work is a fine advert for golf.
I'd not deny those who have no access to "visible waters" the chance to learn, albeit at second hand, the lessons of the underwater cameras simply because they weren't around in my day; learning is a far more positive thing than forlornly tweaking the wrong method in unguided hope of getting something right.
Wise words oh mighty Vole :clap:

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Dave Burr wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:48 am
Vole wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:21 am I learned much of what little I know from watching fish, tackle and bait in small, clear rivers.
Wise words oh mighty Vole :clap:
I`d third that....... :clap:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

:Hat: LA Parker had the best approach in the 1940's with his underwater telescope employed from his punt. He studied fish feeding on different types of bait and discovered, for example, that roach much prefer pre wetted bread compared to fresh!

Bolt rigs per se date back to the stone age so nothing to do with Walker ! :Hat:
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Parker was one of the greats - anglers who write, rather than the reverse, and who share their experiences - and those of their contacts, often.
It's hard to beat direct observation, but a good description comes close.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

Dave Burr wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:16 pm Richard Walker experimented with rig design and arguably invented the first self-hooking/bolt rig when he fished with a lead stopped less than an inch from the hook. He caught his 31 pounder on it.

Despite the 'Essex' laddishness and, for me, the disagreeable personalities of the Korda crew, I have found the development of underwater filming very interesting. I love fish and am totally absorbed whilst watching them. Seeing them in their natural habitat is just an extension to my passion much like watching the footage from inside a bird nesting box. Were Dick Walker still with us, I feel he would also find it interesting.

As I type this, there is, on the TV, a program about wildlife and the use of hidden spy cameras to obtain new and previously unseen footage of various animals. It's just technology and it's progress - or, for some on here, 'progress'.

For me, it's just fishing. Using a self hooking rig for carp is vastly superior to doing the same, in a 'traditional ' way, for pike.

Dave,
I don't think Richard Walker invented the bolt rig. My objection is to self hooking rigs and not underwater cameras.
The bolt rig is deadly, anyone can catch carp on it, no missed runs, no concentration.
The Korda boys demonstrated that, and there was no need to run outside the bivvy to the rods, the fish was already snagged.
I argue against it on the grounds that it is not sporting, and I don't consider it to be a form of traditional angling.
Best regards
Mem

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Jardine wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:12 pm
Dave Burr wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:16 pm Richard Walker experimented with rig design and arguably invented the first self-hooking/bolt rig when he fished with a lead stopped less than an inch from the hook. He caught his 31 pounder on it.

Dave,
I don't think Richard Walker invented the bolt rig. My objection is to self hooking rigs and not underwater cameras.
The bolt rig is deadly, anyone can catch carp on it, no missed runs, no concentration.
The Korda boys demonstrated that, and there was no need to run outside the bivvy to the rods, the fish was already snagged.
I argue against it on the grounds that it is not sporting, and I don't consider it to be a form of traditional angling.
Best regards
Mem
Hear, hear. Timing the strike is one the critical parts of angling in my view and sometimes very frustrating (esp when surface fishing!). Without it we would merely be snagging the fish. :(
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Redmire Pool”