Barbel

Re: Restoration.

Post by Liphook »

Good to hear that the water is receiving TLC

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

I wish you all the best in your project, I have never been to Redmire, but one day I would hope to visit or fish there just once and see it as I imagine it in would be in the glory years.

AndyB
Dace

Post by AndyB »

Great work and thanks for the update, it's good to hear.

All the best for the rest of the project.

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

Great start Mark, only two days in and the draining, netting and selecting done, amazing mate, well done.

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

Great thread. Looking forward to the future updates. Never been there but always held great interest to me

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Well done Mark, I look forward to reading future updates on the progress....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Home for a day and half way through the work so only a brief bullet point update I'm afraid (lot's to do and back at Bernithan tomorrow).
All going very well so far.
All fish safe and sound including gudgeon. I have seen comment and speculation on social media, (some from people there on one of the netting days) but only four of us know what was removed from the pool in stages over the past month and none of us will ever reveal the facts. It's hard to maintain any secrecy and mystery in the days of social media but there it is!
Shallows completed and restored. Two dot islands no longer part of the bank and the shallows now extend thirty yards beyond where they were when we started work. We found an old walkway that I believe is from the syndicate days, which was a useful marker for the pool's extent.
Deep channel at the dam end is under way. The volume of silt is unbelievable!
Also working through the rest of the lake. We are leaving areas of silt and weed untouched and spreading some silt within the lake to "prime" the ecology (rather than removing it all) .
I'm pleased that this has all been achieved with only four points of access to the pool, so visually there is little or no impact on the banks, other than the extended shallows. We removed the fallen oak, partly because it was part of the restoration plan but also because it was dangerously unstable and essential for machinery access.
We have confirmed some Redmire myths and fables!

Two weeks to go and I am very confident we will complete the work on time. I am personally very happy with the results, although I am sure there will be criticism from some; that seems to be the way of things these days!

In case anyone is interested, Carpworld has an article from me about the plans for the project and background and I will write about the project work itself once finished,

Best.
Skeff

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Very many thanks Skeff; I admire your commitment and work. (I don't know who else is there but sincere thanks to all). If you are able to post any photos perhaps - maybe at the end as a "wash up".

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Barbulus wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:45 am Very many thanks Skeff; I admire your commitment and work. (I don't know who else is there but sincere thanks to all). If you are able to post any photos perhaps - maybe at the end as a "wash up".
I will do a proper write up at the end, with photographs, I promise!

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

With any lake restoration you will find detractors. With this restoration you will be under the microscope of many, including I suspect a majority who have opinions but no 1st hand knowledge of the water! That makes for no easy task. I've been lucky enough to restore several small stillwaters over the years and it's important for all to remembering that a good haircut eventually grows back! Our syndicate had some heated discussions with a couple of outraged members after the renovation of a small pond. 5 years later those same members now understand the importance of doing a proper job in the first place! It can look harsh initially to the untrained eye, particularly because much of the work is best done now as we move into winter.
The best of luck with it all :Hat:

Return to “Redmire Pool”