Goodbye Redmire

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Ambidexman
Bleak

Re: Goodbye Redmire

Post by Ambidexman »

I have great memories of my seven day visit there back in August 1987. Seeing and casting a line in those famous swims - magical - and to catch a fish or two even more magical......

Bleak
Bleak

Post by Bleak »

I used to rent a pool many years ago.
I say rent it was a friendly agreement with
a farmer, bottle of scotch dropped off now
and again. Once the farm changed hands.
I lost the permission.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Being of an age ( like most of us) that grew up with mystery of Redmire, I am glad that I never succeeded in getting a booking.

It lives on as before in my imagination. I am pleased that my visit was in Dicks writing

" never go back" is often sensible advice- but " never go" has worked this time for me.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Having spent a memorable week there in 2018 with Northern Nomad, I would happily return... Especially now it has had a huge amount of work done to it by Skeff and his team... Hopefully the water has cleared somewhat and the weed will have returned... It is still a great place to fish and even in it's stark, bare state in March, with snow on the ground and the water a muddy brown from the field runoff, it still had an atmosphere...

Just walking round awoke memories of stories read and recounted... Walking onto the Dam was a thrill and looking down to the Shallows where "Kevin" once stood was magical... it's not what it was granted, but for an old gimmer like me who still reads of the escapades therein it still holds an attraction... Especially when you stalk a 12lber out by the Dam wall on cane and pin....

Yes... I'd return tomorrow if I could
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Troydog wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:23 am But there are always new opportunities, new people, new places to try. Its just that we can all get set in our ways, completely ignoring some other superb fishing that may be right on our doorstep.....
Yes, there are new opportunities.
But I wish we had fished the Trent more in the 70's and 80's, when a 60lb mixed bag of chub, roach, barbel before 10am was the norm.
We thought it would be like that forever.

Like the song by Melanie, "I've got a brand new combine harvester".
Hang on, that wasn't the one ... :Confused:

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Ian.R.McDonald wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:30 am Being of an age ( like most of us) that grew up with mystery of Redmire, I am glad that I never succeeded in getting a booking.

It lives on as before in my imagination. I am pleased that my visit was in Dicks writing

" never go back" is often sensible advice- but " never go" has worked this time for me.
Exactly how I have viewed this iconic water - the pictures in my imagination delivered by RWs writings could not be surpassed.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

We used to fish a local pond, full of Rudd 2lb to 3lb - it was free of charge to us locals from the local farmer and friends could be taken with consent. One morning, gentleman from Sheffield knocks on Farmers door asking for a day ticket. It would appear, that one of the very local locals, had been telling his mates that the farmer charged for day tickets and had been pocketing the dosh. Fishing was immediately stopped, and when I visited again a couple of years ago, (must be 30 since i fished it) all it contained were Carp and Carp and the best Rudd fishery in Nottinghamshire had been ruined by one foolish action. Yes - things come and go.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Ally wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:31 am I know of a lot of fishing that has been lost to clubs in the last few years. The age of privatisation and making dosh.
And a lot of water formerly held by clubs has come back into 'the public domain' as the smaller clubs have gone out of business,
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Ambidexman wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:18 am I have great memories of my seven day visit there back in August 1987. Seeing and casting a line in those famous swims - magical - and to catch a fish or two even more magical......

Tanktop and flares. Truly magical memories.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

....turned over waders, we all did it!

Return to “Redmire Pool”