Well ... I supose I should have asked !

This forum is for discussing Hardy Anglers Guides from the 1950's.
Dokterhoo
Dace

Re: Well ... I supose I should have asked !

Post by Dokterhoo »

I've just added some info from Hardy Bottom Tackle Calalogues for 1933, 1935, 1939, 1950, 1953, 1955 & 1960 - see
viewtopic.php?f=191&t=20828&p=285146#p285146

If I can help with info for your rod please pm me and I'll take a few pics of the relative pages and email them.

Dok

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Dokterhoo wrote:I've just added some info from Hardy Bottom Tackle Calalogues for 1933, 1935, 1939, 1950, 1953, 1955 & 1960 - see
viewtopic.php?f=191&t=20828&p=285146#p285146

If I can help with info for your rod please pm me and I'll take a few pics of the relative pages and email them.

Dok
Indeed it helps me, Sir. Thank you. The 1953 page identifies mine as the No 1. listed there, and confirms the guides, and that the rod is in original, unrestored condition. You've set my mind at rest.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think both the FWK Wallis Avon and the FWK Wallis Allround were made at the same time but the names were later abbreviated to just Avon and Allround eventually. Just when I don't yet know Super Bottom Fishing Tackle catalogues are thin on the ground.......
It's interesting to note that the Allcocks Wallis Wizard, long rumoured to be a Hardy FWK Wallis copy, is documented by Allcocks as existing as early as 1931.

It's also worth noting that Allcocks too dropped the Wallis name from their rod only to add it again briefly to the rod in their death throes in about 1966. By then the rod had gained a longer cork handle to suit later styles of acstin, the original being intended to be fished 'Sheffield style'

The rumour was always that Hardy had made them do so as the rod design was theirs, but if the Wallis Wizard dates to as early as 1931 Allcocks may have got there first! In fact both makers assert their rods were 'made with the assistance of' ( Hardy) or 'designed by' ( Allcocks) FWK Wallis.

Here's his nibs, fishing Sheffield style from a punt:

Can it be he's got the reel handles on the left hand side??

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The other chap in the boat is I think the Royalty Water Bailiff and bit about him was published recently - his name and where it was published escape me at the moment!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I thought that too, Olly! And I can't remember either......... :-)

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

The boatman is Henry Joseph Preston also known as Harry, who worked as a keeper on the Royalty from 1875 until 1915. There was an article about him in Classic Angling last year. Difficult to make out but is it possibly a fly rod that Wallis is using in this picture?

Pete

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I don't think it's a fly rod as the reel is too far forward, so he can brake the spool with his little finger, presumably.

There again, if it's as early as you suggest...pre1915,.... the picture is surely posed as cameras just weren't that good in those times and perhaps the photograph shouldn't be taken too seriously.

If he posed and got it wrong he'd be in good company:

https://www.medlarpress.com/page1/page1 ... e_6371.jpg

Just what IS Jack doing in that picture? Spinning the reel so that the handle comes around and knocks the ash out of his pipe??

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

He must be lining up the reel and rod rings I think Nobby.. strange photo though.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Nobby wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:38 am I don't think it's a fly rod as the reel is too far forward, so he can brake the spool with his little finger, presumably.
On a closer look I'd say you were right Nobby as there would be more handle above the reel on a fly rod.

Pete

Return to “Hardy Anglers Guides 1950's”