Well ... I supose I should have asked !

This forum is for discussing Hardy Anglers Guides from the 1950's.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Well ... I supose I should have asked !

Post by AshbyCut »

I sent off for the 'Hardy Angler's Guide 1951,' the year of my birth, and thought I might find information on the 'Allround' and the 'Sheffield Style' I've recently acquired.

It arrived today ... and I've been through it 3 times now ... and the only 'float rod' mentioned (amongst all the fly, casting, spinning, dapping, worming rods) is "The General."

Oh well ... it's a fascinating read anyway !!! The eight pages on the 'Altex' reels are worth it !!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Crucian
Eel

Re: Well ... I supose I should have asked !

Post by Crucian »

You need the 'Hardy's Super bottom Fishing Tackle' catalogue.

I have an early fifties one which has all the info you need, but I'm not terribly good with computers.
I could post it to you if you wish, you could then photocopy it and return it.
Or, I could try and get my son to scan it and post it here on the forum for you.

Edit; Sorry, it's a 1938 catalogue.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Crucian wrote:I could post it to you if you wish, you could then photocopy it and return it.
That's an very generous offer, Sir ... but I think my rods are 1950's. I'll hold your offer until I make other investigations, if I may ?
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Of course... good luck with your endeavours.

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

I may be able to help you here.
As mentioned you need the Hardy bottom fishing catalogues I have these from 1937 1939 and 1955.
There is quite a lot of detail on Sheffield style rods although the Allround does not appear this early.
This was mentioned in an earlier thread and I think came after the Wallis rods.
I will happily send or deliver them to you if you pm your address or you can collect - I'm fairly local.
Hope this helps

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

AllRounder wrote:Hope this helps
A marvellous offer. PM on it's way, Sir.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

AllRounder wrote:I may be able to help you here.
As mentioned you need the Hardy bottom fishing catalogues I have these from 1937 1939 and 1955.
There is quite a lot of detail on Sheffield style rods although the Allround does not appear this early.
This was mentioned in an earlier thread and I think came after the Wallis rods.
I will happily send or deliver them to you if you pm your address or you can collect - I'm fairly local.
Hope this helps
A very generous offer I would say.
The 1939 catalogue has the match fishers reel, this reel was only made in 1939 :Thumb:

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

The whole of page 6 in the 1937 catalogue is devoted to the 'All-round' No's 1,2 & 3...

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

The whole of page 6 in the 1937 catalogue is devoted to the 'All-round' No's 1,2 & 3...[/quote]
Yes you're correct but the page refers to the FWK Wallis collection. AC's rod is the plain "Allround" which came later if I'm not mistaken- although the detail is still of interest.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

AllRounder wrote:The whole of page 6 in the 1937 catalogue is devoted to the 'All-round' No's 1,2 & 3...
Yes you're correct but the page refers to the FWK Wallis collection. AC's rod is the plain "Allround" which came later if I'm not mistaken- although the detail is still of interest.[/quote]

I stand corrected Sir, thank you.

Return to “Hardy Anglers Guides 1950's”