THROWING 'EM OFF THE SCENT - DID WOLDALE HOLD "MONSTERS?"

This forum belongs to Woldale.
Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Re: THROWING 'EM OFF THE SCENT - DID WOLDALE HOLD "MONSTERS?

Post by Gary Bills »

I sometimes wonder if there's a frequency which humans can't hear and which otters can't stand? It could be a good deterrent..
You could have invisible trip beams along the banks, at low level which, as an otter passes through them, would trigger the high frequency and send the otter packing. Just an idea...

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

FarliesBirthday wrote:I sometimes wonder if there's a frequency which humans can't hear and which otters can't stand? It could be a good deterrent..
You could have invisible trip beams along the banks, at low level which, as an otter passes through them, would trigger the high frequency and send the otter packing. Just an idea...
There probably is but it wouldn't be otter selective and would deter all manner of wildlife I would think.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Snape wrote:
FarliesBirthday wrote:I sometimes wonder if there's a frequency which humans can't hear and which otters can't stand? It could be a good deterrent..
There probably is but it wouldn't be otter selective and would deter all manner of wildlife I would think.
It would probably effect other wildlife, but the trip beams, placed thoughtfully and effectively, with otters in mind, would help to limit this, I think. I just believe it's a better outcome than chewed-up carp.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Trip beams wouldn't work FB. They would have to have line of sight from a transmitter to receiver and be close enough to the ground to for an otter to trigger and unless foliage would get in the way unless a strip of land was completely cleared of all plant growth and then kept clear all year.
I do wonder whether some offensive pheromone type smell which humans can't detect might be effective (a bit like lion dung deters domestic cats) but it would need regular application.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

This article (from the U.S.) suggests that high pitched deterrents don't work and only relocation and physical barriers work.
http://www.wildlifeanimalcontrol.com/ot ... llent.html

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Snape wrote:Trip beams wouldn't work FB. They would have to have line of sight from a transmitter to receiver and be close enough to the ground to for an otter to trigger and unless foliage would get in the way unless a strip of land was completely cleared of all plant growth and then kept clear all year.
I do wonder whether some offensive pheromone type smell which humans can't detect might be effective (a bit like lion dung deters domestic cats) but it would need regular application.
An ex-girlfriend's father was a professor of tropical agriculture, and he prescribed lion dung for a coffee plantation in Kenya, to keep away critters, and it worked... :Sun: :Happy: That's what you call a curious blend..
As for a "trip" mechanism for the high frequency - I'm sure that someone could come up with a decent trip, pressure pad, or something...?

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Snape wrote:This article (from the U.S.) suggests that high pitched deterrents don't work and only relocation and physical barriers work.
http://www.wildlifeanimalcontrol.com/ot ... llent.html
Ah well, back to the drawing board...

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

There are badgers, foxes and all sorts of wild life roaming the pool and of course the little people from the secret miniature village deep in the woods.

Unfortunately probably a little too late now as the well known phrase of closing the gate after the horse has bolted springs to mind.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Shaun Harrison wrote:There are badgers, foxes and all sorts of wild life roaming the pool and of course the little people from the secret miniature village deep in the woods.

Unfortunately probably a little too late now as the well known phrase of closing the gate after the horse has bolted springs to mind.
Hmm, yes Shaun, I can see how any trigger, - chemical, electrical or otherwise, could struggle to be selective.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

It's there any chance of the otters moving on eventually, - as they apparently did at Redmire and which they certainly did at a local pool I fish, without any human intervention?

Return to “Woldale”