River Trent at Stoke Bardolph

This forum belongs to the River Trent.
Barbus

River Trent at Stoke Bardolph

Post by Barbus »

I have a ticket to fish the Trent at Stoke Bardolph, has anyone any helpful information on the Chub fishing there? I have heard of some big chub being caught by barbel anglers there. The stretch must be two miles long so will take some exploring this winter.

barbus

BendSomeCane
Crucian Carp

Re: River Trent at Stoke Bardolph

Post by BendSomeCane »

It's a long time since I fished there but go and fish it and see what you catch !
Not much help but a little encouragement
BSC
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Post by Danny Boy »

this is just down the road from where I live ,if you can get to the weir side and fish there that's where the chub and barbell tend to get caught.

I go fishing not to find myself...but to lose myself

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Hello Barbus,
I fish the LEVAS section of the Trent which is about 2 miles further upstream from this part of the river.
I tend to rover fish at this time of year as quite often it can be tough going searching out Mr Chub.
Tactics mainly ledgering ,just enough weight to hold bottom,hook lengths anything between 12" to 4ft.
Some days these chub can hold the bait before moving off and require a longer hook length.
Baits -clear cold conditions -bread flake either on its own or if you prefer with liquidised bread via a feeder.Luncheon meat fished in single cubes or several cubes threaded on to the hook,pushed up the hook length and then slide them back down again,so you end up with up to 4-5 cubes instead of one large piece.
Note-cut the meat into various size strips but then break them into cubes by hand so they have rough edges,these can be flavoured if you wish.Again you can add grated meat to a small cage feeder,along with the liquidised bread,it can be deadly .

Cheese paste fished on its own or add breadcrust to bend of the hook and then mould the paste on to the shank.

Steak and mince

Lamprey sections can have their day

...and lobworms.

.... another note hooks be bold 6-4 would be the norm for me,these chub do like a large bait....most of the time.

bites, quite often you need to sit on your hands and wait for what is normally a very positive pull some bordering on savage!

I always look for the quiter water at the back of over hanging trees and look out for any bends as they may hold a fish or two.

tackle -rods and reels of your own choice,bite indication again what you enjoy whether touch,bobbins/rod tip or quiver.

hope this helps and enjoy your trips.

Trentfisher

Barbus

Post by Barbus »

Thanks for the information lads, it's all most welcome.I have managed two chub so far, both on steak and minced ox heart, it has more blood in it than ordinary mince.

I used to be in LEVAS many years ago, and fished Fletchers pond for the carp, in fact when I think about it, it was many many years ago.
I've never tried Lamprey, is it the blood in it that is the attraction?
Sadly there only seem to be a few trees on this section, they always seem to attract a few chub.
I'm fishing there today, hoping the colour has dropped from the water a bit.

barbus

Return to “River Trent”