END OF SEASON

This forum belongs to the River Trent.
Bob Brookes
Zander

END OF SEASON

Post by Bob Brookes »

It was all planned out, sessions on Thursday, Saturday and Monday with the possibility of slotting one in on Sunday too. At least 2 of those days the swim was going to be where I have caught some enormous barbel on cane and pin the last time conditions were just right. A few days ago the weather forecast showed that conditions would be spot on, with a little warm rain to liven things up.

Then what has gone wrong? The heavy rain we have had during the last 24 hours is lifting the water levels to the point when my planned stretch will be un-fishable. If it continues to come up it will be over the banks and swim options will be greatly reduced. Don't get me wrong, I do like flood conditions as I usually do quite well. The problem is I may not be able to fish with the finesse that will allow cane and pin deployment.

Good luck to all who venture out on the rivers in the next few days. Most of all, BE SAFE! :Hat:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: END OF SEASON

Post by Paul F »

Sorry to hear that Bob, the lovely spring weather may have scapered a lot of peoples plans for the end of season, mine included.
all the best,
Paul

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

It's the same here on the Thames, we had very heavy rain last night and now the best stretch is virtually unfishable. I might just have to dangle a line for a few hours in a spot that's normally rubbish so I can fish the last weekend.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I know just how you feel Bob.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Yes I'm a bit miffed too.....I was/am planning to fish with the old man on Friday and Monday on our stretch of the upper Medway....today it rose over two and a half metres between 6am and 12 noon! I shall of course be writing to the Prime Minister asking him what the hell is going on and what he intends to do about it.....are we actually sinking under the weight of the population increase :Wink:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

RBTraditional wrote:Yes I'm a bit miffed too.....I was/am planning to fish with the old man on Friday and Monday on our stretch of the upper Medway....today it rose over two and a half metres between 6am and 12 noon! I shall of course be writing to the Prime Minister asking him what the hell is going on and what he intends to do about it.....
Yes quite rightly so Rob , something does seriously need to be done as some kind of defence, look at yalding 2 winters back, absolutely horrendous, pm's came down to Investigate and what's been done about it :rant: s#d all, dredging parts of a river will do absolutely nothing because a river will always find its own level regardless but what they could of done is build a few defence barriers after careful surveying on the areas where the river is liable to start flooding :Wink:

Oh well that's bu#gured me trotting up above the Leigh barrier then, Stillwaters it is :fingertap:

Stuart

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Myself and BandSomeCane have had to abandon our trip after roach on the Idle and the river level is still rising.We will try again on Monday.
Mark Davies

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Totally sympathise Bob, hopefully my planned trip with your Bob'let will still be okay Sunday.

I can't see where the water has come from as we haven't had a silly amount, it must have totally deluged on Stoke. Levels have risen from 1.513 m yesterday to 2.817 and for a river as big as the Trent a 1.3 m rise is a hell of a lot of water. Then again, it does have to push uphill to Hull.

Looks like your 'other tackle' will need to be let free rather than abusing the cane for what it was never made for.

GhyllManor
Grayling

Post by GhyllManor »

Hi Guy's, It's a similar scenario here in Norfolk/Suffolk, water meadows flooded, fields saturated and rivers (Little Ouse, Wissey and Waveney all looking very full and difficult. However I plan to have some sort of an attempt tomorrow as poor planning rules out Sat Sun and Mon! :hairpull:

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Hasn't stopped you catching one Bob a little dickie bird tells me :eyebrow:

Return to “River Trent”