.....as anyone managed a session on the Trent yet!

This forum belongs to the River Trent.
TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

.....as anyone managed a session on the Trent yet!

Post by TrentFisher »

Well I would be lying if I said I was not disappointed with the condition of the Trent at the moment .For the first time in years I have managed to be off work for the start of the season and my local stretch is bank high.

The dreams of fine weather and trotting a float through my chosen swim are on the back burner as the rain continues to fall again.The river was showing signs of the level starting to fall and that was the case this morning but quite enough yet.

So another walk along the bank tomorrow morning and I think a barbel session will have to satisfy my dream for the time being.

Anyone had a session yet?

Here's hoping
Nige.

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Re: .....as anyone managed a session on the Trent yet!

Post by TrentFisher »

Evening Gents,

just an up date re this post......

managed a four hour session today on the stretch of the Trent close to home,,,finally

It was still carrying extra water and some colour,but a lot better than last week.
I decided to take the Hardy Matchmaker 14ft version out for an adventure ,I knew I would be fishing swims of around 9-10 feet deep and with snags close in I thought the extra length would help deal with these issues.The reel choice was an Ambidex mark 6 which needed to be put through it's paces.
The set up was completed with 6BB cork bodied avon.
Bait red maggots.

I found a nice long glide to trot and started off feeding maggots directly in front of me and about 2-3 yards above me to help drawer the fish in.
around twenty minutes passed and the first fish of the season is brought to hand a sparkling dace of around 6 ounces.
This was followed by several more along with the odd small chub and a sprinkling of roach.

As always I was totally at ease with my surroundings blackcaps ,white throats,various tits could be heard along with the flash of a kingfisher as it sped off downstream as the fish continued to bite.

Time as we all know passes so quickly when fishing and today was no different and it was soon time to breakdown the Hardy and reflect on past few hours where fishing and nature made for a very pleasurable time for myself.

The end result was a splendid mixed bag of fish....nothing to trouble the net but no complaints .The Trent appears to be alive and well.

Looking forward to the my next adventure already.

-Nige.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Yes, I have at willington. Bank full there too and I was trapped on site due to the access track flooding. Had some nice dace on the feeder but there was an absence of chub and barbel. Fish all the slacks but nothing wanted to play. Still 8oz dace are fine fish. Tried the stick float but had to fish it at 15 foot to find the fish, not easy!
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Richard O
Silver Bream

Post by Richard O »

it was very dissapointing, it was if the start of the season started how it ended. We fished the Attenborough gravel pits. But I am looking forward to be back on the Trent this weekend :fishing2:

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

Fished the first sunday after start of season the 19th i think ,had nothing but wees and rubbish,fished trent again last sunday at Newark ,levels about normal still colour in the water,no barbel but plenty if roach and perch
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I had 5 sessions in June over a 20 mile stretch of the middle reaches of the Trent. The first day was a blanking disaster with all the rubbish coming down. The next 4 sessions produced just 6 barbel, but they were good ones of 11.07, 11.08, 11.08, 11.10 and 11.11. The last one, caught on Monday, was a 'tiddler' of 9.14!

I certainly cannot complain about the fishing, even if the weather has been abysmal.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Richard O
Silver Bream

Post by Richard O »

When will it stop raining ? Just when river levels start dropping, down comes the rain and up goes the river, it don't feel right this time of year, a week before the start of the season I thought that the Trent looked great.

Return to “River Trent”