Float fishing vs. float ledgering?

This forum is for discussing the Lift Method.
Guest47

Float fishing vs. float ledgering?

Post by Guest47 »

Hello, I have a question regarding the cut off point where the final tell shot weight becomes a bolt setup instead of lift setup. I normally shot with heavier shot (SSG or AAA) to trap & cock the float and then use progressively lighter shot down the line to the final "tell" shot (AAA or BB). Here in is my question, at what point does the final shot become too heavy and induce a bolt from the Carp?? Needless to say, I light to keep the it simple and fish the "lift" or sail away. Float ledgering is a whole another game.

Michael
Tench

Re: Float fishing vs. float ledgering?

Post by Michael »

I suppose when the accumulated weight, in turn causes resistance, which in turn makes said fish bolt?....

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

I'm confused, the lift method doesn't require a tell shot as all the shot should be placed inches from the hook, its the fish lifting these shot that allows the float to lift and lay flat. I don't lock the float with shot either but use a float rubber, locking shot will not allow the float to lift correctly.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I think a look a Peter Drennan's article on his website is called for. http://www.drennantackle.com/articles/driftbeaters.pdf
Also there are variety of ways to do it - each angler choosing something that works for them. If it works - use it!

Carp may bolt after feeling the line or the hook without the weight moving or having any effect.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Chevin correct always use float rubbers the shot should be no more than 3 inches from the hook the crucial thing is to plumb the depth exactly and then move the the float up by the exact distance from the weight to the hook. Get it right and the float soars out of the water like a nuclear sub surfacing.
Bumble

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I was relating to the lift method and increasing weight until it become a bolt type. Not the nuances of the lift method, which I agree with Chevin and Bumble....

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Anything creating resistance could be deemed a 'bolt' rig! Ranging from a quiver tip to a no 8 shot.

The lift method needs a weight to sink the float either until the tip is still seen - or the tip is only seen when it lifts above the waters surface.
A sunk float lift method as developed by John Hofgartner for carp fishing, as seen in his video.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Olly wrote:Anything creating resistance could be deemed a 'bolt' rig! Ranging from a quiver tip to a no 8 shot.

The lift method needs a weight to sink the float either until the tip is still seen - or the tip is only seen when it lifts above the waters surface.
A sunk float lift method as developed by John Hofgartner for carp fishing, as seen in his video.
That's the theory of a some say bolt/shoick rig, as long as the distance between the hook and weight is correct, usually 6-10 inches. I was trying to differentiate between the "true" lift method as has been described and lets say a long range float ledgering rig, similar set up to the lift, but where you would increase the the usual 1ssg, to 4-5ssg, therefore it become a shock/ bolt rig. I will look up John Hofgartner , is it a type of sunken lift??

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Sorry - I now understand what you are saying! Carp and other fish do bolt at almost any resistance, but should this be an acceptable method? It is used in quiver-tipping as well as ledgering and even fly fishing!

Yes Merlot - John developed this method with a sunk float which pops up to the surface when a fish picks up the bait. Very useful in windy/wavy water.

I still have a few Ray Mumford floats that were used on the London Reservoirs in the 60's almost identical to a windbeater. Cork bodied with the enlarged tip made from a length of porcupine quill.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I`ve just watched the film with Matt Hayes, at Horse shoe lake, yes he caught a few carp to say the least, yes I get the idea

Return to “Lift Method”