The lift method for tench

This forum is for discussing the Lift Method.
Surrey Martin
Roach

Re: The lift method for tench

Post by Surrey Martin »

Hi all
Excuse me for confusing the issue but my u derstanding is that the method you are referring to is Laying On whereas the lift method is different in that the float is set up bottom end and enough bulk shot to nearly cock the float ( I use drennan Driftbeater ) then a tell tale shot BB is placed about 1inch from hook and rests lightly just on the bottom so accurate plumbing is required . Once set up the float will be cocked correctly but as soon as a fish takes or mouths the bait then the tell tale will be be disturbed and the float lifts .When a fish bites I was always told not to strike until the float disappears completely . Something that is very hard to do when a fish is running about with it but it does work and striking before does not hook the fish which of course is hopefully a large tench .
Anyway that’s my interpretation and I think Peter Stones book Gravel Pit Angling Des rives the method
Cheers
Martin

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

My apologies. I should have explained the reasons for the set up more fully.
I've used a similar method to yours in the past. From memory it was a Drennan stillwater Blue float rather than a driftbeater, the shot set up was the same.
That was on a local pool.
I was writing about the problems of lift float fishing on a weedy canal.
The answer is to reduce the depth, so the tell tale shot and bait aren't stuck on top of, or amongst weed.
Then the problem is, if there is any drift on the canal, as, the rig is not anchored, it will drift, firstly out of the baited area and secondly the hook catches on a larger bit of weed and drags under.
So I use a dibber, which holds in the flow, pretty much like laying on with a stick float, the difference being there are no shot on the bottom. Sorry, I should have been clearer about that.
Not striking too early is good advice. I always followed Ivan Marks' advice of any movement of the float, STRIKE!
He also said he struck and caught fish if he even thought something had happened. Which is mystifying.
I've tried it with tench fishing and connected with nothing every time. I'm also concerned about the line brushing up against fish and spooking them. So it's a case of patience (none) willing the float to go under (fail) and offering a silent prayer to the deity (unanswered, he's got better things to do)

All the best.
Will.

Surrey Martin
Roach

Post by Surrey Martin »

Will
Interesting that you used the Stillwater blue as I also used to use them but I guess eyesight deteriorated and the large sight bob on the driftbeater is easier
Match guys were in those days interested in any size fish so tiddlers on the drop or playing with bait were the norm hence the advice to strike at anything
Tench though need time patience both of which I seem to have lost as that float bobs about for ages !
Cheers
Martin

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

Hi Martin

My eyesight is the same. My glasses for setting up are X3 reading glasses from Poundland, so I doubt I would see a blue at 20 yards like I used to.
Sight bobs seem like a darned good idea to me.
I've also got a pair of sunglasses from ESP. Fluorescent tops really stand out whilst cutting out glare.

You are right about different target fish. I have to get out of my head that there are millions of small bits grabbing the bait and that there are maybe only two or three tench in the swim, maybe only one, taking a leisurely approach to feeding. It's a different mindset.

All the best.

Return to “Lift Method”