can you explain this for me

This forum is for discussing the Lift Method.
Bjp
Chub

can you explain this for me

Post by Bjp »

i may be having a stupid moment but in this video about fishing the lift method i cant see how you would get a lift bite , surely every time the tench lifted up with the bait the float would bury fishing it this way.

if i am being really stupid please explain it to me :Beg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcvGTMzO0sc

regards

bjp :Hat:

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Re: can you explain this for me

Post by Wagtail »

I'm with you on that bjp :Hat: it certainly looks like the float should bury most - of not all - of the time.

Possibly the rate of lift from the bite exceeds the speed at which the swivel slides up the line because of friction, but in that case using another float stop behind the weight (to keep it from sliding) would make the system more efficient. I suppose you can't argue if it works, but it is confusing :Confused:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

what they have made in my humble opinion is a float ledger rig

regards

bjp :Hat:

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Firebird wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 9:08 pm If the fish takes the weight of the shot, the float will rise. If it pulls them along, it will drag or sink. But, yes, a sliding link isn't the usual arrangement for the "lift method", but I imagine the slide wouldn't work that well. Go for the simplest I think. Why would you have all that weight of shot when you're fishing the margins?
More weight would come into play on a windy day, or on a big lake with a strong undertow. Sometimes on the TFF crucian days at Stockton you need a fair bit of weight to keep the float still even when the wind drops as the water keeps circulating for some time afterwards
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Maybe it's to do with the shape, direction of wind, or underwater contours at Stockton, but on some days the undertow affects even at a rod-length out

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Hmmm...interesting and I am totally with you Bjp! The only way to make the float lift on a take would be to place the ledger link in between the rod tip and float. But without any weight near the hook it won't work. A rig mounted this way will only sink the float when the tench pulls line or cock it when it lied flat on the surface before. A very bad video in my opinion.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Yes that's float ledger not the lift method. Total lack of understanding and the mechanics of the lift method.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I think the chap may have improved the original by accident (or just found it simpler to "show and tell" rather than "show and explain in full detail").

First, as explained, is the fact that the line isn't weakened by a fixed shot.

Second, there is the belt-and-braces reassurance that if the fish doesn't lift the shot (maybe it's wedged between pebbles) a bite will [edit:may] still register by the float sinking; if the bite is successfully hit, the trapped shot should be able to slide off the link.

Third, a biting fish doesn't need to lift the row of shots clear of the bottom for a lift to register, merely to lift it from "lying flat" to "standing up". Even a partial lift will register.

Fourth, developing the last point, this may be what's enabling him to use such a small bait- traditionally, quite large baits were used, in the hope that the fish would forgive the small extra weight. Against a tiny bait, the weight would be far more noticeable and inhibiting to a fish.

It might be possible to enhance this effect by using a link of shot of tapering size, smallest nearest the swivel. I suppose I'll have to drag myself out fishing and try it.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

What Vole said! Otherwise it's a finer version of float ledgering modelled around using Drennan double strength line, which doesn't like to be pinched with shot because it's too delicate. A line I choose to avoid.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Looks like reinventing the wheel to me. I first saw the shot-ledger in the 60's and have used it ever since either by simply looping a short length of mono over your mainline and pinching shot on it to create your weight as a sliding loop or by attaching to a small swivel or ring. The only new' innovation is the "Drennan" retaining float stop.

If, in order to create a lift, this rig needs three swan shot to be moved along the bottom or indeed raised from it, then it is a lot less sensitive x 3 than a single swan shot. It's sensitivity is only enhanced by a sail away bite which you would probably get with a single swan shot.

To my mind, should you wish to sensitise the lift method, all you need is a lighter float or one with a longer antenna. This can be weighted so that less lead needs to be moved to show the lift and your bulk shot 15" from the bait will keep everything in place whilst your last shot, an AA or BB in general, will, when lifted, give a corresponding lift of the float. Not quite the original method but highly effective and very sensitive.

The method shown - the float ledger - is ideal for fishing at greater distance or where there's a strong undertow (as already stated). In those circumstances I would be tempted to remove the float and watch a bobbin.

Return to “Lift Method”