"The Lift Method"

This forum is for discussing the Lift Method.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: "The Lift Method"

Post by AshbyCut »

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

That's exactly what I would understand by 'the lift method' - but when I use it it is is rare for the tench to play its part!

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

I thought the same but for one thing, I always assumed the tip of the float should be just under the water surface. :think:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I always show a little of the float ... just so I don't lose it's exact position, and can see the slightest start of the lift.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Yes thinking about it that does make more sense as the float may just shot off and not lift if the fish is a bit of a goer! :thumb:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... 245&t=2573

If you look at the 5th picture from my diary of the farm pond, the float is a tench float made by ljm183. Although i wasnt using it as a tench float and using the lift method, (i just wanted to use it cus its pretty :chuckle: ) anyway, if just the tiny tip was just showing and when you get a bite the bulbous end would be clearly shown and a bite would be detected, more visible, and as its got quite a long stem it could come up quite far then topple over flat...... strike and one banked tench using the lift method.
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

The lift method, but with the float just submerged, is currently a method used in modern carp fishing, known I believe as 'the sunken float method'.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

To go back to the original post in this thread ....

"Successful Angling" also says ... "F.J.T. enjoys catching rudd in winter (using the lift method) and is surprised more anglers do not set out to catch them."

Mr B

Post by Mr B »

Well this has been an interesting thread! The method I wrongly called the lift method.... "What can that be called"?
As a re cap.... A long self cocking float, shot down so when, and if the line got time to hang down in the water just the tip will be showing. I would be fishing at about 5 ft from float to hook in the lake that was probably at my casting range 12/15 ft. The Rudd would be feeding on the service just as the summer sun was setting. As the bait is picked up, the weight is taken from the shots (That are in a group about 9 inches to a ft from the hook) and the long float lifts from the water like Excalibur! "Strike", another nice Rudd,
Sometimes the float just stood high in the water, as soon as it landed. That tells you the Rudd didnt give the bait time to settle, 'Strike'

Yes mate,The lakes were run by Halls, then RMC. The lake where I fished for Rudd was the big lake that had some monster Carp in it. (The perch lake before the nasty decease that killed loads of Perch) Do you remember the little Tench lake?.... "Sorry", I sapose we should start another Subject. "Club lakes of the 60s & 70s!"

Mark

PerchBasher

Post by PerchBasher »

Our paths may well have crossed in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s I lived in Bexleyheath and used to travel down on the 401 bus. I remember the Halls/RMC complex at South Darenth and Sutton at Hone well. At Sutton, the tench lake was the small, weedy one. The rudd lake to which you refer was the bigger one – used to have loads of perch in it as well.

Happy days indeed

Mike

Return to “Lift Method”