Hello from under a pear tree

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Solithar
Roach

Hello from under a pear tree

Post by Solithar »

May has passed, full of its greening and singing high up in the branches of my grandfather's old pear tree. It stands here in the garden since I first walked into it, as a toddler, years ago. Its bark is older and its branches thicker, but these leaves are always the same around the beginning of June: intense green and glossy, in the midday sun.

I walk beneath them as I head towards the old logs in the deeper part of the garden. A certain sense of fright and tense expectation spring in me, somewhere near the roots of my soul, as my thoughts catch form. And I think to myself: they are there every year. Should be there now, too.

Worms. For me, the angler, they are most precious, although perfectly repugnant for my not-so-fishy peers. But without these little wriggly beings that inhabit the most uncanny of the places, oh, what would all my youngster excited preparations be? I stoop, peep under the mushroom smelling log and let an enthusiast sigh of relief - I have found my treasure.
Now, let this week pass. Plenty of time to go over all the right spots and runs, in my vivid memory. And especially that tiny space between the rushes, where a huge crucian gave me the creeps last year...
No matter, no matter - I have remade the binding on the slender rod. This time, I shall get a chance at photographing it: bright colors and all.
One week. And then I shall become one of the reeds by the water.

That year - it was half my life ago, starting high-school and all - it passed without a single crucian from that little highland pool. I got busy with giant carp (rather, they got busy with me, as I remember) and voracious (little) pike.
Yesterday, I walked again under the old pear tree in that garden. Nowadays, it ought to be named ancient, by some accounts. And although I did not hunt, nor stoop for worms as I used to when I was a young explorer, some logs were still around, the leaves still sang along, accompanying the swallows... and the last week before the start of the season is still full of excitement.

Ready your canes, dear fellows. And your reed hat.

Well met!
Lucian,
Sibiu County, Romania
Last edited by Solithar on Tue May 22, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lucian,
A beginner angler thankful for the endless and blessed joy of angling.

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Paul D

Re: Hello from under a pear tree

Post by Paul D »

Hello :Hat:

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum Lucian.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Solithar
Roach

Post by Solithar »

Good to be!

Mark, Paul and all: don't let the GPS element mislead you. :)

Congratulations on this most welcome and appropriate e-space for the cane fisher!
Lucian,

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Welcome sir :Hat:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A hearty welcome, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

GhyllManor
Grayling

Post by GhyllManor »

A sincere welcome from Norfolk/Suffolk.

Solithar
Roach

Post by Solithar »

Sincere thanks, from this here stickleback. :D
Lucian,

Mark_N
Bleak

Post by Mark_N »

Welcome from sunny Berkshire. I look forward to hearing about traditional fishing in Romania.
There are 2 types of people in this world.... those that "get" fishing .... and those that don't

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Hello Lucian!

Wow, what a fantastic introduction, that is a great piece of writing, I loved it! Be sure to show us some of your adventures, I'm already fascinated by 'that little highland pool'...

Welcome aboard... :cheers:

Scott... :Hat:

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”