Cheshunt Old Boy

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Sussex Dave
Gudgeon

Re: Cheshunt Old Boy

Post by Sussex Dave »

A warm welcome sir

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Well it did hold the British record for a carp! 20lb 3oz caught by John Andrews in 1916 and that was broken again in 1926. The first 20lb+ record.

And as said everything died in the Big Freeze. The Society did restock but the fish merely reached 30lbs.

A lot of famous anglers fished there, Bill Keal, Frank Guttfield, Jack Hilton, etc etc. I believe Len Arbery on this Forum did as well.

I assisted in the fish relocation before the wreckers and tree fellers moved in.

Zebedee

Post by Zebedee »

I'm amazed that Thames Water was simply allowed to do what they did with no representations made as the reservoir's obvious historicity, let alone its function (and yes, there is a potential, strategic problem with water supply in the South East) or nature reserve value. They effectively prejudiced the planning application by closing and wrecking the place well beforehand. And yet this was all allowed to proceed. Thames later tried to repeat the stunt and close a section of the New River but people saw them coming and reacted. They've still messed it badly though. The banks in the stretch that I knew best look nothing as they used to be. They've effectively culvertised it in parts with steel piling.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

They were built in about 1846 and as they were no longer an asset to the Company due to being too small for the storage of sufficient water they ceased to be active probably by the start of the 1900s. Both reservoirs only having a total capacity of 39mg!

The Queen Mother reservoir near Heathrow supplies 250 mega litres per day! The east of London is supplied by the tunnel carrying water all around London which is large enough to drive a mini - old sort - through it.

Goosequill
Dace

Post by Goosequill »

Welcome Sir, I hope you enjoy yourself here.

N9nty
Roach

Post by N9nty »

Welcome to the forum, I used to fish The Lea at Harpenden. It was a very small river with amazing fish.

John
The older I get the better I was.

Mercman
Roach

Post by Mercman »

Welcome...I too was brought up fishing the Lea around the Cheshunt area. North met Pit, Kings Weir, Dobbs Weir, Cathagena Lock, Fishers Green all great places 40 years ago. Not fished the area for a few years but Tizer a member on here, lived there for 30 years and has a fantastic knowledge of the area.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A hearty welcome, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Zebedee

Post by Zebedee »

Thanks everyone. I lived in Cheshunt for twenty seven years myself. Or rather I kept my room at our family home after I'd left for university, work in London and so on. I never did manage to get involved with anything like this though.

Now I can. This was at home today.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Welcome sir :Hat:

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”