Cheshunt Old Boy

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Richie
Roach

Re: Cheshunt Old Boy

Post by Richie »

Welcome Cheshunt Old Boy .
The laughing Hyena he drives me crackers would he laugh so much if I cut off his knackers.

Zipper
Roach

Post by Zipper »

Hi and Welcome!

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Hello boy.Welcome from another Lea valley boy,I lived just across the road from you,you must have had theAbbey cross pit right behind your house,and the North met,Did you ever fish the police pit,I loved that place.Happy days

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

Welcome from another Wiltshire based fisherman.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Das-Bolt wrote:Welcome fellow Stickleback!
You've brought back some memories there. I used to fish The Lea in the 60's at Cheshunt, Broxbourne, and St Margaret's. I lived in Islington then and would get an early bus to Liverpool St. for the train. Happy days!
Bernie (Das-Bolt).
I have lived in St Margaret's for the last 11 years since retiring having moved from Enfield. I have seen the changes in the Lea over many years, you can still catch massive chub in places, but it is apparently due to them eating the crayfish when they shed their shells? Cormorants have also contributed to the decline, although the clarity of the water seems fine the bankside "cover" has been largely removed by the river authority. I am still very happy to be living by the river, I am never bored of talking to all the boat owners and dog owners that I meet on the towpath, happy days!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Zebedee

Post by Zebedee »

Tizer wrote:Hello boy.Welcome from another Lea valley boy,I lived just across the road from you,you must have had theAbbey cross pit right behind your house,and the North met,Did you ever fish the police pit,I loved that place.Happy days
Hi there. I lived in the High Street so just a short walk away but never quite dared to fish the police pit. It had some interesting bird life though, including bitterns. The water immediately to your right after you crossed the railway line down Cadmore Lane, had some big carp which I think drew Richard Walker on occasion. I mainly fished the Lee in those days as you didn't pay.

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Hello boy,I fished the police pit all the time,only saw 2 others on there at the time,they prob thought I had a ticket and I thought they must have had a ticket,loved the place,I was one of the bailiffs over there in the end.The one next to the north met that you mentioned used to be run by Abbey cross club till they gave it up,i did sneak over there a few times for a bit of piking,belongs to the sailing and canoeing people now,i did ask if they would mind if I fished it but they said no,All my time in the valley I only ever saw one bittern,I was down by fishers green and a coach load of twitchers turned up looking for a bittern someone had seen,later that day I was out with my dogs further up the valley at nazeing on Landridge lake ,it is very quiet up there and right in front of me was a bittern.HAPPY DAYS

Totman
Minnow

Post by Totman »

Welcome Cheshunt Old Boy .Cheshunt must have been a great place to live then so many places to go fishing , i lived in north london seven sisters road ,not to many fishing venues there apart from walthamstow resevoirs and the lea.. enjoy the Forum
Regards Totman

Muscavado
Grayling

Post by Muscavado »

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy the Forum as much as I do
They are a friendly crew :cheers:

John

Lee or Lea

Post by Lee or Lea »

Hi

I spent many an happy hour on the North Met Pit in Cheshunt. Train up from Tottenham, then a walk down the river to the pit.

Bait up with whatever groundbait I could afford at the time (although generally that meant plain white & brown crumb), followed by an evening under the rod tip on a lift float rig with corn or maggot the main ammunition.

Some lovely Tench graced my net in those days.

I now live in Newport Shropshire, and I am fortunate enough to live 5 minutes away from a land locked section of the shroppy, so can still fish my favourite method albeit for slightly smaller specimens.

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”