New member and plea for Carp fishing help!

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: New member and plea for Carp fishing help!

Post by Snape »

N9nty wrote:I have caught many carp on nothing more complicated than a small porcupine quill and a single piece of sweetcorn fished in the margins. The only other bait I use is a piece of breadflake, best fish to date is 28lb. I also use a piece of floating crust when I know where the fish are, generally I try to avoid carp where possible as I fish for tench and roach. This method has outfished conventual carp methods on numerous occasions.
Best of luck.

John
When you fish a single grain for corn do you put in much groundbait?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I pretty much use the same method but I use a small foam strike indicator in place of a float as I can 'read' its movements better than I can a float.

The amount of free offerings is really down to the individual situation. I put in a couple of good handfuls of corn in a couple of spots and keep topping it up. Sometimes in perfect weather I'll put a lot more in as the carp will feed heavily on it and constantly hoover it all up. Later in the season it can pay to be more sparing with the free offerings as the carp can sometimes spook over too much bait. No hard and fast rule really but more try it and see.

I have had some fantastic catches on corn fished simply in the margins during the days when you get that perfect moody close atmosphere that can define a humid warm but not too hot summer days.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Beresford wrote:I pretty much use the same method but I use a small foam strike indicator in place of a float as I can 'read' its movements better than I can a float.
Gary Bills is very keen on using strike indicators rather than floats and has had a huge amount of success in the margins.
Well worth trying.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

N9nty
Roach

Post by N9nty »

N9nty wrote:
I have caught many carp on nothing more complicated than a small porcupine quill and a single piece of sweetcorn fished in the margins. The only other bait I use is a piece of breadflake, best fish to date is 28lb. I also use a piece of floating crust when I know where the fish are, generally I try to avoid carp where possible as I fish for tench and roach. This method has outfished conventual carp methods on numerous occasions.
Best of luck.

John

When you fish a single grain for corn do you put in much groundbait?
I loose feed a small amount of sweetcorn, a scattering over several square yards and more concentrated next to the float.
The older I get the better I was.

Das-Bolt
Gudgeon

Post by Das-Bolt »

Hello.
Can't help with the Carp but welcome to the forum.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Hello Ben and welcome to the TFF. My advice would be locate your fish and try every conceivable permutation on baits and presentation - confidence is the watchword. As you will have garnered from the replies thus far there is not one hard and fast rule for catching your Carps. I await future posts regarding your quest.
All the best Sir :Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

I fish a bunch of worms on a size 4 wide gape,really close in,i use a small float rather than a fish pimp(strike indicator) only because I like to watch a float.

Totman
Minnow

Post by Totman »

Welcome Ben ,try float fishing or freelining with lobworm you will catch when others are struggling to catch.

Sussex Dave
Gudgeon

Post by Sussex Dave »

Welcome welcome welcome

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Plenty of first class information posted for you Ben.Keep it simple :fishing1: .

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”