Hello Chaps, took me a while but I got around to applying at last.

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Simon F
Ruffe

Hello Chaps, took me a while but I got around to applying at last.

Post by Simon F »

Well as I seemed to have passed the "tell us a bit about yourself" and got on to the forum I thought I should say Hi. Though I see some folk from the short lived Waterlog forum of many moons ago.

Anyway, rather than re-write a load of schpeel(sic) I just thought I'd copy in my introduction email: this is me ( as Mike Yarwood seemed to say I recall )

Dear Sir

At the risk of the humiliation of being black-balled ( ooerr missus ), I will lay my credentials open to you.

I only ever fish for trout with bamboo, an 8'5" Fario club, and a strange 5'11" American number that is called a "Serin" from Red Bluffs. I usually use a 1928 Hardy's Uniqua and a Theabault silk line or some older number silk line I have renovated myself. I have not yet taken to using a single horse hair cast - though on the end of a tapered silk leader it is not impossible that I may not give it a go. ( a size 16 on a gut-eye can bloody whistle though ).

I mostly sewin fish at night on the river Towy in West Wales ( I live on Gower ) - I use the outpourings of the petrochemical industry to do this - not the hand crafted stems of overgrown grass I'm afraid.

My Salmon fishing is a mixed bag. Very fond of flinging fluff with a range of modern two-handers, I occasionally worm for salmon, and when doing so use a 10 foot cane shrimping rod I built myself from a Chapman's kit years ago. I use the same rod for crab fishing for bass at close quarters. My reel of choice when using this bit of cane is either a Mitchel 300 ( I never saw another 810 since I had one stolen when I was about 14 by some "Big Boys", now at 18 st and 6' 5" I'd like to have the chance to take it back again! ), or a Swallow centre-pin.

As I said I live on Gower in West Wales, so of course I bass fish and have a collection of the original ABU 5/6/7000 series reels the finest multipliers ever made.

I know the difference between stret-pegging and laying on, and between trolling and trailing. I could explain about the problem of casting a 20 foot salmon rod with scarffed and bound joints and drop eyes while up to your nipples in the Alta ( you will freeze and probably drown, the rod weights about 2 lb, and the drag is impossible ). I have an idea of what a hair-rig is - but do not understand "the method" or "spodding". I know the record weights of very few fish, Miss Balantynes Giant of course, and err nope actually that's it. Some fish are big, some are not. I have attached a picture of my best ever catch, and what is in fact the most important fish of my life - it was caught on a solid glass rod from Ramsden's Tobacconists and Tackle dealers in Wakefield.

I fish for fun, and am serious about my fun. I have fished since I was 4 so I have 51 years under my belt. I am still not a very good fisherman but I am a very keen fisherman. I have fished on 4 continents I would fish for anything anywhere with the sole exception of Carp fishing, by this I mean sitting down fishing for something whose weight I will already know to an ounce or two, on a wooden peg/platform next to some bloke called Gazza - or maybe it is the fish that is called Gazza? I would love to drift crusts over a reed wall to a glooping naturally bred fish though, that is not "carp fishing" that is just "fishing". I am a fan of wild fish - And of course Crucians are a delight beyond ( I have plans which involve a 2 acre field I own, a digger and about 200 pure bred crucians ( that is what I call a gentle retirement ). Even when catching tasty bass and sewin, 90% of my catch go back. However, I feel we have a moral requirement to keep the right to kill fish otherwise we are just "buggering about with them for fun" but having that right does not mean we need to exercise it.

Currently I work offshore in the oil game, I'm in charge of oil exploration ships, I am there at present, anchored off Las Palmas for Christmas. I have tackle in my cabin of course - not traditional, but I'm not a zealot - just an addict.

I read a lot, and have a reasonable sized library of fishing books, mostly of a vintage from about 1980 backwards. I have every edition of Waterlog published and am currently therefore in the sad position of watching the slow demise of a good friend. I also have all of Fallon's Tangler so far ( not as good and a bit too much 'me and my great mate xxx, to be sure' ) but we shall see. I also just picked up 9 copies of Creel last month for 50p a copy! I knew Sunday mornings being dragged around the Towy flea market by the Wife would pay off one day ( actually I also got my last silk line there for 3 quid, with a reel! ).

My other hobbies include my 1959 Massey Ferguson 35 tractor, my 1976 SIII Land-Rover and I love making things from wood, metal or bricks. I wear a tweed jacket and a flat hat ( at 55 I am now actually eventually the right age for clothing my dear Wife always thought made me look like a 50 year old farmer. ). I love to eat, drink red wine, scotch and bitter.

My middle name is Cynthia

Only one 'fact' I have written is not true.

Simon Frobisher

Edit:Oops forgot my picture:

Image[url=https://flic.kr/p/QdR6ab]
Last edited by Simon F on Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
``·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Hello Chaps, took me a while but I got around to applying at last.

Post by AshbyCut »

A hearty welcome, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Hi Cynthia,

A warm welcome to the forum from the banks of the River Teifi in Cardigan.

You have arrived in a wonderful place, full of decent,genuine people, mad as hatters most of em, but nice with it.

:Hat: :Hat:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Wow! what a opening post Cynthia, I would say welcome aboard but it seems you already are. :Hat:
Chaps, Simon F shall for evermore be referred to as Cynthia

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

Welcome sir :Hat:
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Muscavado
Grayling

Post by Muscavado »

Welcome
Are you that Cynthia that I met on the docks many years ago? If so...you were terrific :Wink:
If not, welcome to the Forum and I hope you enjoy your time on here

John

Tom
Rudd

Post by Tom »

Welcome Simon,
Tom

Simon F
Ruffe

Post by Simon F »

Muscavado wrote:"Are you that Cynthia that I met on the docks many years ago? "

John
Ah John, I believe it could be so, and if so I recall forgetting to 'thank you for the tip!' :Chuckle:

I have actually spent thirty years at sea and spent a lot of time around the docks, bars and whorehouses of the World - but frankly. I'm a home boy at heart, managed to stay true to the wife. Unlike 90% of my crew - the scurvy black-hearted dogs!
``·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Simon,

You have a PM ( shown top right of task bar)

Rgds

Neil
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

Welcome to the forum Simon.
Exploring for oil off Las Palmas?? :shocked:
I should keep that under your hat if I were you. Else Trump 'n' Co will be looking for a reason to invade the Canary Islands! :Chuckle:
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”