Hello from Castleford

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Stathamender
Tench

Re: Hello from Castleford

Post by Stathamender »

Paul_Atack wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 9:55 am Ok will do, thank you.
If you have any difficulty finding it it's here: viewforum.php?f=190. Also a very comprehensive listing of Allcock rods by Mark here: viewtopic.php?t=912.

Also some details would be useful: that looks like a whole cane rod for the bottom two and a half joints with a built cane tip spliced in to the top joint (about 13'?). That brass butt piece looks fairly old to me, 30s or 40s perhaps. The name transfer or Indian ink naming was usually just above the handle but, given the severe clean the handle appears to have had recently, it may have been removed.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Paul_Atack
Stickleback

Post by Paul_Atack »

If you have any difficulty finding it it's here: viewforum.php?f=190. Also a very comprehensive listing of Allcock rods by Mark here: viewtopic.php?t=912.

Also some details would be useful: that looks like a whole cane rod for the bottom two and a half joints with a built cane tip spliced in to the top joint (about 13'?). That brass butt piece looks fairly old to me, 30s or 40s perhaps. The name transfer or Indian ink naming was usually just above the handle but, given the severe clean the handle appears to have had recently, it may have been removed.
[/quote]

Thanks, I was unsure about the material it was made of. I'm currently at work but the sections measure 43 Inches for the butt section, and the tip and middle sections are 41.5 inches each (from memory). The rod is very light - much lighter than I was expecting and the am not sure of the handle has been cleaned or the cork replaced at some point?

I was told the rod hadnt been used in a long time before aquring it - which was at a car boot sale at the weekend for £5 which seems like a steal to me.

Thanks again

Paul

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

As for the grooved agate. I've succesfully polished a badly grooved agate tip ring. If yours isn't broken, there's a good chance that you can rescue the ring.
Have a look here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=23627
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Paul_Atack
Stickleback

Post by Paul_Atack »

Duebel wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 11:35 am As for the grooved agate. I've succesfully polished a badly grooved agate tip ring. If yours isn't broken, there's a good chance that you can rescue the ring.
Have a look here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=23627
Thanks very much, you got a lovely result from that so I will follow your lead for the tip ring which is a little worn, however the but ring groove goes all the way through the agate unfortunately. I have seen someone mention filling this with super glue and polishing up, does anyone know what kind of glue to use?

Thanks again,

Paul

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

You should contact our fellow member Old Tackle aka Christopher. He knows his ways around agate.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Paul_Atack
Stickleback

Post by Paul_Atack »

thanks for the tip, I will send a message.

In terms of the rod I've done some investigation using the list of rods that Allcocks made and through elimination I believe it could be -

The Brownie - 3 section light cane, built cane top - 10’ 6”

This fits with what I have, but still more info required so I'll keep working on it.

Thanks

Paul

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Paul, yours has a spliced tip section, whole cane to split cane. Nice looking rod whatever it is, perfect for a spot of gudgeon wrestling. :Hat:

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”